This crochet ear warmer is easy to make in any size you want from a child to adult. Plus, it has a lovely stretch for a nice comfy fit. It is worked up in the criss cross crochet stitch, which gives it a nice texture.
Also, the pattern is worked in back loops only throughout, which gives you a nice ribbed texture on the right side. It has a little bit of lace, but it’s still nice and cozy for the cold weather.
You don’t need much yarn, or time, to whip this up. And that makes it ideal for gift-giving and selling at craft fairs.
The Stitch Pattern
This ear warmer headband is worked in the round, and is started with the foundation single crochet to give the band a nice stretch from start to finish. You can also start this with chains and the regular single crochet for the first round if you like.
Then it is worked in the back loops only with the single crochet and the cross double crochet.
This warmer measures 19″ in circumference by 3.25″ wide to fit an adult small. But, the free pattern is very easy to adjust in size in a multiple of two, thus making it great for toddlers and up. If making it for toddlers you may want to reduce the width by doing one less repeat of the pattern rows.
Here is an Ear Warmer Size Chart to make it easier to adjust for other sizes.
I chose Caron Simply Soft, which is a medium worsted weight yarn. But anything similar that gives you a good amount of stretch will work.
I like this yarn, not only because it is soft, but also because it is strong and durable! Plus, it gives you a nice shine.
The solid color looks nice, but if you have odds and ends to clean up, I imagine the cross stitch would look nice in stripes as well.
Other Patterns to Try
- Charisma Chunky Crochet Ear Warmer
- Slanted Puffs Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
- Simple Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern for Beginners
- Beaded Stripes Winter Ear Warmer
Criss Cross Crochet Ear Warmer
- Yarn: Caron Simply Soft (Worsted Weight (#4) 100 % acrylic, 6 oz/170.1 g – 315 yds/288 m)
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 1" over 4 sts.
- Finished Size: Laying flat it measures 9.5" by 3.25".
- Bldc = Back Loop Double Crochet
- Blsc = Back Loop Single Crochet
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Fsc = Foundation Single Crochet
- Rep = Repeat
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Crochet Abbreviations explained in more details.
- The first crossed stitch is worked over the first and last sts made in the previous round. This way the beginning ch-2 is hidden for a seamless look. It also staggers the crossed stitches for a super cool design.
- All rounds are crocheted into the back loops only. All rounds are joined in both loops.
- Increase/Decrease the size as needed in any multiple of two.
- Crochet Cross Stitch Tutorial
- Rnd 1: Fsc 76 (or an multiple of 2). Mark Last st made and join with sl st in first fsc making sure not to twist. [76 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 2 (does not count as st), bldc in same st as join, bldc in last st made in previous rnd (marked st); *sk next st, bldc in next st, bldc in skipped st; rep from * around; join with sl st in both loops of first bldc. [76 sts or 38 crossed sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, blsc in first st and in each st around. Mark last st made and join with sl st in both loops of first blsc. [76 sts]
- Rnds 4-9: Rep rnds 2 and 3. Fasten Off at last Rnd.
And don’t forget to check out Crochet Pattern Bonanza for more Crochet Ear Warmers.
Leave a Reply