This crochet ear warmer pattern for beginners is crocheted in a few simple stitches that provide a nice comfortable stretch. As with many of my designs, this ear warmer crochet pattern can easily be adjusted to any size you need from baby to adult large.
And it’s not just an easy ear warmer, but with a few rounds less, you could easily make yourself a nice crochet headband as well.
Although it is a great beginner project, it is perfect for anyone who enjoys to crochet because it is beautiful and comfortable to wear. I love the spiral lace that naturally occurs as you do more rounds.
You don’t need much yarn for this, making it a great stashbuster to clean up those oddballs. Plus, if you do craft fairs, this is a good item that would sell. Or, gift it to your family and friends on birthdays or Christmas.
The Stitch Pattern
This pattern is worked with the seed stitch. It’s simply the single crochet and double crochet worked together in the same stitch. Then you skip a stitch to keep things even across the rounds.
It’s easy enough for beginners to master.
Adjust to Any Size
The finished size is 17″ in circumference. It’s perfect for teens or adults with an extra small head. If you need to increase or decrease the size, you can do so by adjusting the number of chains in any multiple of two when you start your project.
To determine the length, take measurements of the circumference of the head. Then subtract about 2 inches (1 inch for babies) to get the circumference that you need. Then make a gauge swatch and use that to determine the number of stitches you need to reach your desired length for your ear warmer. Keep your gauge swatch in case you want to make more ear warmers in different sizes at a later time!
As for the width, it is easily adjusted simply by doing more or less repeats of Round 2.
How wide should I make my ear warmer? As a general rule of thumb, you want your ear warmer to be slightly wider than the length of your ear.
2 inches is wide enough for babies. 3 inches for toddlers. 3-3.5 inches for children. For and adult size you can go anywhere from 3.5 to 5 inches.
I used Patons Canadiana, a medium worsted weight yarn, but any similar yarn will work. Vanna’s Choice will give you lots of stretch.
See More Free Crochet Ear Warmer Patterns:
- Charisma Crochet Ear Warmer
- Simple Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
- Bouncy Bubbly Ear Warmer Headband
- Criss Cross Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
- Easy Popcorn Womens Ear Warmer Headband
Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern for Beginners
- Yarn: Patons Canadiana (Worsted Weight (#4) – 100% acrylic, 100g /3.5oz) – 1 ball.
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 14 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 8.5" by 3.5".
- Work instructions within parenthesis into one stitch as directed.
- Ch 60 (or any multiple of 2 for desired circumference), join with sl st to first ch being careful not to twist.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, working into back bumps, sc in first ch and into each ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [60 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, dc) into same st as join, *sk next st, (sc, dc) into next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. [60 sts]
- Rnds 3-11: Rep Rnd 2.
- Rnd 12: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off. [60 sts]