Easy Crochet Twisted Ear Warmer For Beginners
Here is an easy crochet twisted ear warmer for beginners with two options; one for a striped design and the other for a solid color. In terms of a striped option, you can basically use any color design that you like to.
The twisted ear warmer is perfect for making as a last-minute gift. Not only can you whip this up in a short time-frame, but you don’t need much yarn! And it’s the perfect accessory to go with just about any winter outfit.
In cooler weather it’s all you need, but in the extreme cold weather you can wear it under a hood as an extra layer of warmth.
I love this style, because you can wear the twist in the middle of your forehead or off to the side!
How Do You Crochet A Twist Ear Warmer?
This style ear warmer crochet pattern is worked in rows. You can work the pattern in short rows to the width that you want, or in longer rows to the circumference that you want. In this pattern I worked the rows lengthwise for the circumference.
Regardless of what you choose, work the rows until you have the size that you need. Then fold and sew the ends together for a pretty and stylish twist.
The Stitch Pattern. For this design I worked the band in rows using single crochet stitches. The stitch is not only beginner-friendly, but it is also pretty and results in a cozy fabric.
The Size. The finished earwarmer measures 20″ in circumference by 4″ wide. It is modeled on an adult small mannequin.
There is no stitch multiple for this pattern, so you can basically start off with any number of chains to get the circumference you need. Refer to this ear warmer size chart if making it as a gift for friends and family.
You can also make a crochet headband pattern simply by doing less repeats of the pattern rows.
Choosing the Yarn. I chose Lion Brand Pound of Love, which is a medium worsted weight yarn, with a 6 mm crochet hook. I love this yarn because it gives you a good amount of stretch, which is essential for an ear warmer.
How Do You Sew A Twisted Headband Together?
Step 1. To sew the twist, fold the band lengthwise with the Right Sides together and the Wrong Sides facing the outside.
Step 2. Layer the band as shown so that the edges overlap from the center. You can place your stitch markers in the middle if you like. I just eyeballed it, because you can adjust it in Step 5 as needed.
Step 3. Then fold one end over the other as shown below.
Step 4. Next, fold the second end over so that the ends interlock.
Step. 5. You should have four layers. Make adjustments as needed to make sure everything is centered evenly.
Step 6. With your tail end of the yarn, and using a tapestry needle, sew across making sure to go through all four layers.
Step 7. Turn right side out to hide the seam. Easy Peasy!!!
More Free Patterns for Crochet Earwarmers
- Criss Cross Crochet Ear Warmer
- Charisma Chunky Crochet Ear Warmer
- Bouncy Bubbly Ear Warmer Headband
- Beaded Stripes Winter Ear Warmer
- Slanted Puffs Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
Easy Crochet Twisted Ear Warmer For Beginners
- Yarn: Lion Brand Yarns – Pound Of Love (Medium, #4; 100% Premium Acrylic; 1020yds/932m; 16oz./454g) Colors: Charcoal, 1 ball; White, 1 ball.
- Crochet Hook: J 6.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 9 sts = 3".
- Finished Size: 20" circumference by 4" wide.
- CA = Color A – Charcoal
- CB = Color B – White
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Crochet Abbreviations explained in more details.
- Colors are changed at the last stitch made in the previous row.
- To Change Color: Work the stitch as normal until the last step and you have two loops left on hook; drop the old color, pick up the new color and draw through both loops to complete the stitch.
- Carry yarn up along the sides.
Carry yarn up along the sides.
- Rows 1-2: CA
- Row 3: CB
- Rows 4-5: CA
- Then repeat rows 3-5 for color sequence.
- To avoid having to fasten off, I worked off two balls for CA.
- With CA, ch 65, or any number to get the circumference you need.
- Row 1: Ch 1, working into back bumps, sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [64 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [64 sts]
- Row 3: With CB, rep Row 2.
- Rows 4-5: With CA, rep Row 2.
- Rows 6-17: Rep Rows 3-5 until you have reached a desired width.
- The Solid Color Band was worked in the same yarn and hook size. The colorway is Pastel Blue.
- The pattern is the same, except instead of 17 rows, I went with only 16 rows to maintain an identical texture along both edges.
To Sew The Ends
- Step 1. To sew the twist, fold the band lengthwise with the Wrong Sides facing the outside and the Right Sides together. Layer the band as shown so that the edges overlap from the center. You can place your stitch markers in the middle if you like. I just eyeballed it, as you can adjust it in Step 4.
- Step 2. Then fold one end over the other as shown.
- Step 3. Next, fold the second end over so that the ends interlock.
- Step. 4. You should have four layers. Make adjustments as needed to make sure everything is centered evenly.
- Step 5. With your tail end of the yarn, sew across making sure to go through all four layers.
- Step 6. Turn right side out to hide the seam. Easy Peasy!!!