This easy rectangular crochet shawl pattern is worked up in a lightweight yarn, which makes it perfect for the summer and transitional weather. It’s the perfect accessory to take to the beach as a cover from the sun. Or keep it in your purse to have it handy for the cooler summer evenings, because you never know when you might need it.
Not only is this perfect for the summer, but you can also bunch this up for a cozy winter scarf if you like. Wear it with a coat, over a warm sweater in transitional weather or choose whatever style goes well with your wardrobe.
You only need one skein of Red Heart’s It’s a Wrap yarn. It’s a self-striping, fine #2 cotton/acrylic blend. Although it contains acrylic, the light weight combined with the cotton makes this ideal for summer or any season of the year.
The beauty of this yarn is the beautiful color blends that you get in each skein. It’s perfect for those who love color, but don’t care to make the color changes. It also takes the guesswork out as to whether or not the colors go together. This is always a bonus for me! Another bonus is that with multiple colors it’ll match more outfits.
If you’re using a different yarn, you could easily crochet this up in a single color or a striped design.
The finished size measures 12 inches by 65 inches. It’s a fairly nice size for most, but the pattern is easy to adjust as needed. Simply make your starting chains in a multiple of three to get the length you need. Then continue with the pattern rows until you have the width you need. It’s that simple to adjust this from child to adult.
Other Patterns to Try
- Cluster V-St Small Shell Crochet Shoulder Wrap
- Half Double and V-Stitch Super Fine Crochet Wrap
- Simple Lace Summer Wrap
- Super Fine Wrap
- Red, White and Blue Crocheted Shawl Pattern
Purchase Your Printable PDF
Open Stitch Easy Rectangular Crochet Shawl Pattern
- Yarn: Red Heart It's A Wrap Rainbow (Fine, #2; 55% Acrylic, 45% Cotton; 5.29oz/150g; 623yds/570m) Color: Foggy, 1 ball.
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 16 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 12" wide by 65" long.
- Ch 261, or any multiple of 3.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [260 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), dc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [260 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [260 sts]
- Row 4: Ch 2, dc in first 2 sts, *ch 1, skip next st, dc in next 2 sts; repeat from * across. Turn. [174 sts and 86 ch-1 sps]
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st and ch across. Turn. [260 sts]
- Rows 6-39: Rep Rows 2-5. Fasten Off at last row.