This lapghan crochet pattern works up super quick and easy due to the stitch pattern and the yarn that is used. It is perfect for year-round use, thus, making it for a nice year-round gift idea as well.
The open stitch makes it perfect for cool summer evenings as you sit around the campfires singing your favorite songs… provided you don’t get too close to the fire!
Indoors, it’s great for snuggling on the couch while crocheting or watching your favorite shows. It’s not all that cozy, due to the open stitch, but sometimes a simple layer is all you need to add a little extra warmth.
Personally, I think this crochet lapghan adds a nice touch to your home decor. It’ll make any room look cozy, especially the living and bedrooms.
The finished size measures 36 by 48 inches. It is a happy-medium size, one that everyone will enjoy from children to adults!
In a simple adjustment to your starting chains, you can increase this to any size that you need. Personally, I think the simple lace would look great on a bed runner or even a full-sized bed blanket.
Use this blanket size chart as a reference if you need to make changes to the size.
I used Loops and Threads Charisma yarn. The yarn is super soft, which makes for a very cozy and comfortable blanket.
It also has a wonderful color design. This one is called Saphire, with beautiful shades of light blue, off-white and hints of gray. It reminds me of winter snow touching the blue skies with a few dark snow clouds moving in.
In terms of price, the Charisma can be a bit pricey, but not even that bad. I’d say it’s a good happy medium, and the soft cozy fabric that you can make with this yarn is well worth it.
With that said, since it is so super easy to adjust in size, you can basically use any yarn and hook size that you have on hand.
The Stitch Pattern
This is an easy crochet lapghan pattern, provided you are comfortable with the cross stitch. The cross stitch isn’t hard, it just takes a bit getting used to if you are new to it. After a few stitches you’ll be zooming along.
The lapghan pattern is worked over four rows as follows:
1: Single Crochets
2: Double Crochets and Chain 1 spaces
3: Single Crochets
4: Double Crochet Crossed Stitches.
And then repeat until you are happy with the size. Super easy, simple, mindless, yet pretty enough that you’ll want to make one for everyone!
Lapghan Crochet Pattern with Open Double Crochet and Cross Stitch
- Yarn: Loops and Threads Charisma (Bulky Weight, #5; 100% Acrylic; 109 yds/3.5; 100m/100g) Color: Sapphire, 7 balls
- Crochet Hook: 8.00 mm
- Tools: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 8 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 36" by 48"
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Dc = Double Crochet
- Rep = Repeat
- RS = Right Side
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- See the Crochet Abbreviations chart for more details.
- Ch 71, or any multiple of 2 + 1.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [70 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), (dc, ch 1) into first st, *sk next st, (dc, ch 1) in next st; rep from * across to the last 3 sts; sk next st, dc in the last 2 sts. Turn. [36 sts and 34 ch-1 sps]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st and ch across. Turn. [70 sts]
- Row 4: Ch 2, dc in first 2 sts, *sk next st, dc in next st, backtrack and dc in skipped st; rep from * across to the last 2 sts, dc in the last 2 sts. Turn. [70 sts]
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [70 sts]
- Rows 6-71: Rep Rows 2-5. Do not turn after the final row.
- With RS facing, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.