If you’re looking for a quick and easy child’s blanket pattern than look no further than this super bulky blanket. It’s designed for a child size, but can be used by anyone who likes to snuggle on the couch.
My favorite thing about working on this blanket is that it’s a mindless pattern. You can work on this while watching your favorite shows, or while listening to the radio.
I chose a solid color, but the pattern can also be worked in stripes or blocks to use up leftover yarns.
Due to the material in the yarn, I would not recommend this as a night blanket, but rather just something to cozy up underneath during the day.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch is the single crochet and crossed half double crochet stitch. It’s not only super easy for those who have mastered the basics, but it also gives you a beautiful texture on both sides of the fabric. Shown below is the “wrong” side, which I like just as much as the “right” side.
I did not add an edging to this, but you can always do a round of single crochets if you like.
I’ve provided one size, for a child’s blanket. But in a multiple of 2 + 1 for the starting chains you can adjust this to any size you like from a baby size to a full-sized blanket for the bed.
Here is a blanket size chart to use as a reference.
Bernat Blanket is a super bulky #6 yarn. It is 100% polyester yarn. Polyester gives off a funky smell, but if that doesn’t bother you, the yarn is soft and makes for cozy blankets.
I used up 5 balls, but depending on how you crochet, you may need.
Any yarn will work well with this pattern, but you’ll need to make adjustments to your starting chains to get it to the size you want.
Other Patterns to Try
- Slanted Cluster Crochet Toddler Blanket in Super Bulky Yarn
- Super Bulky Easy Crochet Lapghan
- Eyelet Rows Super Bulky Yarn Throw Pattern
- Growing Stripes Super Bulky Crochet Throw Pattern
- Bulky Triple Crochet Afghan Pattern
Purchase Your Printable PDF
HDC Criss Cross Super Bulky Child’s Blanket
- Yarn: Bernat Blanket (Super Bulky, #6; 100% Polyester; 10.5oz/300g; 220yds/201m) Color: Sand, 5 balls (I had very little left from my 5th ball, so you may need 6 balls.)
- Crochet Hook: 8.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 10 sc sts = 4.5".
- Finished Size: 42" x 54"
- Ch 93, or any multiple of 2 + 1.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [92 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, hdc in first st, *sk next st, hdc in next st, hdc in skipped st; rep from * across to last st, hdc in last st. Turn. [92 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first st and in each st across. Turn. [92 sts]
- Rows 4-91: Rep rows 2 & 3. Fasten off at last row.