This chunky crochet lapghan works up quick and easy. It has a bit of an open stitch, but with the chunky yarn, you can still find a nice level of warmth for your legs as you relax in your favorite chair.
Make this as a gift for yourself or for anyone confined to a wheelchair to help keep them comfy throughout the seasons.
This chunky blanket is worked with rows of half double crochets, followed by rows of v-stitches and chain spaces. It’s very easy, making it great for beginners who are comfortable with basic stitches and ready for something a bit more interesting.
I made mine the size for a comfortable lapghan, but in a simple multiple of four, you can easily make this to any size you want from a baby blanket to a full-sized bedspread. Use this blanket sizes chart to make it easy for you to adjust the size.
If making a baby blanket, choose a baby yarn and a smaller hook size if you like. I used Red Heart Comfort Chunky yarn with a 6.5 mm crochet hook. It is a soft acrylic yarn. It works up, making it great for blanket patterns. It was my first time working with this yarn and I loved it.
I used two skeins of yarn, but it came close to finishing the second ball, so you may want to get three skeins just to make sure you have enough yarn. Any leftovers can be used in another blanket with stripes or color blocks.
Other Patterns to Try:
- Growing Stripes Super Bulky Crochet Throw Pattern
- Bulky Triple Crochet Afghan
- Lacy Round Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Super Bulky Easy Crochet Lapghan
- Eyelet Rows Super Bulky Yarn Throw Pattern
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Half Double and V-Stitch Chunky Crochet Lapghan
- Yarn: Red Heart Comfort Chunky (Bulky, #5; 100% Acrylic; 12.7oz/360g; 448yds/410m) Color: White, 2 balls (I did mine with two balls, but it came close, thus depending on how you crochet, you may need a third ball.)
- Crochet Hook: K 6.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle
- Gauge: 10 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 38" x 48"
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Hdc = Half Double Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- V-St = V Stitch
Special Stitch Instructions
- V-St: (hdc, ch 1, hdc) into designated st.
- Ch 98, or any multiple of 4 + 2.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, hdc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [97 hdc]
- Row 2: Ch 1, hdc in first st, sk next st, (v-st, ch 1) in next st, *sk next 3 sts, (v-st, ch 1) in next st; repeat from * across to last 2 sts omitting last ch-1, sk next st, hdc in last st. Turn. [24 v-sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, hdc in first st and into each st and ch across. Turn. [97 hdc]
- Rows 4-79: Repeat Rows 2 and 3. Fasten Off