This Rectangular Shawl Crochet Pattern is worked up in Red Heart It’s A Wrap yarn. The yarn is a cotton blend, which makes it perfect for the summer, but you can wear it throughout the year because it bunches up nicely for a cozy winter scarf. Another thing that you could do is sew the ends for a cozy cowl.
It’s a mindless pattern making it great for relaxing at the end of the day. There is no counting per row and it’s straightforward as to which stitch is worked in the next row.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is super easy with single and double crochets worked with the double crochet cross stitch. It’s a simple four-row repeat, making it easy while adding a bit of lace with the cross stitch.
The simple stitch multiple makes it easy for you to adjust the size to the length and width that you need.
I worked my shawl in long rows, but you can just as easy work it up in short rows for a slightly different look.
I did not do an edging as I used a yarn with different colors. But if you choose a solid color yarn, or a variegated yarn, a simple edge would look nice.
I used Red Heart It’s a Wrap Rainbow, a fine #2 yarn made up of acrylic and cotton. Any similar yarn will do for the summer. And for the winter you can easily choose an all acrylic for more warmth. And because the pattern is so easy to adjust in size, you could even go up to a worsted weight yarn as well.
Other Patterns to Try
- Simple Seeded Lace – Rectangular Shawl Crochet Pattern
- Open Stitch Easy Rectangular Crochet Shawl Pattern
- Bead and Lace Triangular Crochet Shawl
- Crochet Asymmetrical Shawl
- Half Double and V-Stitch Super Fine Crochet Wrap
Purchase Your Printable PDF
Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Rectangular Shawl Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Red Heart It's A Wrap Rainbow (Fine, #2; 55% Acrylic, 45% Cotton; 5.29oz/150g; 623yds/570m) Color: Foggy, 1 ball.
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 16 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 12" wide by 58" long.
- Ch 241, or any multiple of 2 + 1 to obtain the length of the wrap.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, sc into 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [240 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), dc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [240 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [240 sts]
- Row 4: Ch 2, dc in first 2 sts, *sk next st, dc in next st, backtrack and dc in skipped st; rep from * across to the last 2 sts, dc in the last 2 sts. Turn. [240 sts]
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [240 sts]
- Rows 6-39: Rep Rows 2-5 ending with Row 3 at Row 39. Fasten Off at last row. [240 sts]
Summer Crochet Patterns – Etsy
Here is a pattern collection of 21 crochet summer patterns. I’ve featured some of my most popular patterns including a few tops, bags, shawls, blankets, a summer cap and a few hair accessories.
Although perfect for the summer, you can make and use many of these patterns throughout the year!