With an open stitch, this quick crochet lapghan pattern can be worked up in a day or two depending on how fast you crochet. It’s great for adding a bit of warmth, and in a cotton yarn it would make for a lovely summer lapghan.
This pattern is a redo of one of my older patterns. I made a few changes to help the blanket lay flatter and also adjusted the width for a lapghan size.
This one is shown in a solid color, but it would look great in cheerful stripes as well. I’ve started one in Christmas colors and it looks good so far. Hopefully, I’ll have a picture up soon so you can see how cheerful and bright it can be.
The pattern is worked simply with the double crochet stitch and a chain 3 to make the open stitch. As for the edging, I simply did a single crochet edge. You could try a contrasting color, like a dark chocolate color rotated with the cafe latte for a few rounds, or you might want to experiment with some of the lace edgings found here: Crochet Edgings
The yarn used is Red Heart Super Jumbo, an economic yarn; but with this stitch pattern, you could easily substitute any medium worsted weight or even a chunky or bulky yarn if you like.
Other Patterns to Try:
- Bulky Triple Crochet Afghan Pattern
- V-Stitch Blanket
- Blossom Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Slanted Cluster Crochet Toddler Blanket in Super Bulky Yarn
- Super Bulky Easy Crochet Lapghan
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
- Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo (Medium Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Acrylic; 14oz/396g; 744yds/681m) Color: Cafe Latte, 2 balls
- Crochet Hook: H 5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 16 sts = 5".
- Finished Size: 40.5" wide by 48.5" long.
- Row 1: Ch 131, dc in third ch from hook and into each ch across. (Skipped Chs do not count as st) Turn. [129 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 2 (does not count as st now and throughout), dc in first 3 sts, *ch 3, sk next 3 sts, dc in next 5 sts; rep from * to last 6 sts; ch 3, sk next 3 sts, dc in last 3 sts. Turn. [81 sts and 16 ch-3 sps]
- Row 3: Ch 2, dc in first 3 sts, *work 3 dc into ch-3 sp, dc in next 5 sts; rep from * to last ch-3 sp, 3 dc in last ch-3 sp, dc in last 3 sts. Turn. [129 sts]
- Row 4: Ch 2, dc in first 7 sts, *ch 3, sk next 3 sts, dc in next 5 sts; rep from * across to the last 2 sts, dc in last 2 sts. Turn. [84 sts and 15 ch-3 sps]
- Row 5: Ch 2, dc in first 7 sts, *work 3 dc in ch-3 sp, dc in next 5 sts; rep from * to the last 2 sts, dc in last 2 sts. Turn. [129 sts]
- Rows 6-75: Rep Rows 2-5 ending with Row 3 at last row.
- Edging: Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner. Fasten off.