This baby blanket crochet pattern is crocheted up with the blossom stitch. I love this stitch because it gives you a nice appearance on both sides of the fabric. It makes for a lovely baby blanket for little girls, but in the right colors, you could just as easy crochet this up for boys as well. It’s shown here in a solid color, but why not try it in pretty baby stripes or even a rainbow color. Babies love color, so the more you add the happier they will be.
What I liked best about this pattern is that it allowed for mindless crochet once I got started on it. I found this to be a great project to work on at night before bed to help me relax for a good night sleep. And for new moms-to-be, I’m sure it would be a great way for them to relax as they await for their new bundle of joy to arrive.
The Stitch Pattern
The blossom stitch is a combination of the v-stitch with double crochets, single crochets and chain one spaces. The stitch pattern is a two-row repeat, with the stitches alternated between the two rows.
It’s got a bit of an open stitch and lacy design to it, so it’s great for the summer months, especially if you use a cotton yarn.
I used a #3 light baby yarn, Loops and Threads Snuggly Wuggly Big! It’s an acrylic yarn, which makes it easy to wash this over and over again as needed without having to worry about the blanket losing it’s prettiness.
With that said, the stitch looks great in almost any yarn, so feel free to substitute as you like. And it doesn’t even have to baby yarn either, as long as it’s soft and baby safe if you’re making it for a baby.
The baby blanket measures about 30″ by 30″, making it perfect for the crib or the stroller. However, you can easily customize this to fit your needs. In a simple multiple of 4+1 you can increase and decrease the width as needed.
Since the pattern is worked in rows, the length is worked by doing more or less repeats of the pattern rows. This blanket size chart may come in handy if making adjustments to the size.
Other Patterns to Try
- Easy Baby Blanket Pattern
- Broomstick Lace Crochet Baby Blanket with Ruffled Edge
- Seed Stitch Baby Blanket
- Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Baby Blanket
- Two Color Crochet Baby Blanket
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Blossom Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Loops and Threads Snuggly Wuggly Big! (Light #3, 14oz) – 1 ball.
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: Measures 2.5" over 3 V-sts.
- Finished Size: 30" x 30"
Special Stitch Instructions
- V-St: (dc, ch 1, dc) in designated chain or space.
- Stitch Tutorial: Blossom Stitch
- Stitch Multiple: 4+1
- Ch 137, or any multiple of 4 + 1.
- Row 1: V-St in 3rd ch from hook (first skipped ch counts as turning ch and first sc), *sk next ch, sc in next ch**, sk next ch, V-st in next ch; rep from * across ending last rep at **. (34 V-Sts) Turn.
- Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch-1 sp), *(sc, ch 1) in v-st, (dc, ch 1) in next sc; rep from * across working last (dc, ch1) into turning ch of previous row. Last ch-1 made counts as turning ch and first sc for next row. (68 ch-1 sps) Turn.
- Row 3: *V-st in next sc, sc in next dc; rep from * across. Turn.
- Rows 4-91: Rep rows 2-3.
- Rnd 1: Sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner and making sure to end with an even number. Join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in same st as join, *sk next st, (sc, dc) in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.