This Bernat Baby Blanket crochet pattern works up quick and easy. It’s mindless and relaxing to work on, which makes it an ideal go-to pattern for gifting.
For some reason I have a difficult time finding stitch patterns that work with a super bulky yarn. I had a totally different stitch in mind for this yarn, but it didn’t look right at all, and so I went with the seed stitch instead. At first I wasn’t too sure, but as the blanket grew, so did my confidence. I hope you will like it too.
The Stitch Pattern
The seed stitch is worked with a single crochet and double crochet together in the same stitch. Then, skip a stitch and repeat.
The stitch pattern results in a very nice texture that you’ll enjoy showing off along with your little one. Not only is the texture nice on one side, but on both sides of the fabric! The magic is worked with the single crochet and double crochet together in one stitch.
Another beauty of this stitch is that you can work it up in a single color, or in as many stripes and blocks of colors as you like. Thus, you could easily turn this into a stashbuster, as long as you stick to the same yarn throughout.
The yarn is a super bulky #6, made of polyester. It’s very soft and cuddly, making it great for babies or anyone who loves to snuggle under a cozy blanket. I used the baby yarn, but it’s very similar to the regular Bernat Blanket. I could be wrong, but I think the only difference is the colors.
The thick yarn makes this quick to whip up as a last-minute gift. But any yarn will look fabulous with this stitch pattern.
Choose your favorite colors. I chose a variegated yarn, but a solid color would help to bring out the texture of the stitch even more. I love the splashes of the color, but I find it takes away from the stitch.
Adjusting the Size
This pattern is given here in a baby blanket size, but you can easily increase to any size want using this blanket sizing chart. To adjust the size, you would need to do a gauge swatch to help you do the math on how many chains to start with. Or, just start your chains off with a multiple of two to about the width that you want the blanket to be. It’s really that simple to adjust this in size, making it super easy to substitute with any of your favorite yarns!
Other Patterns to Check Out:
- Blossom Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Seed Stitch Baby Blanket
- Two Color Baby Blanket
- ESC Round Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Baby Blanket
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Seed Stitch Bernat Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Blanket (Super Bulky, #6; 100% Polyester; 10.5oz/300g; 220yds/201m) Color: Chick & Bunnies, 3 balls.
- Crochet Hook: 12mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 5 sts = 3.5".
- Finished Size: Just under 36" by 36".
- Refer to this Blanket Sizes Chart if you want to make adjustments to the size.
- Ch 50, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, *dc in next ch, sc in next ch; rep from * across. Turn. [49 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in first sc, *sk dc, (sc, dc) in next sc; rep from * across to last 2 sts; sk dc, sc in last sc. Turn. [49 sts]
- Rows 3-49: Rep row 2.
- Ch 1, sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.