The cross stitch gives this crochet baby blanket a pretty design. It’s mindless to work on, and is perfect for both baby boys and girls.
I love the solid color with the cross stitch, but I can also see this in a pretty striped design. You could work it up in blocks by working the stitch pattern rows several times before changing colors. Or, you could assign a different color to each stitch where the single crochets are worked in CA, the double crochets in CB and the cross stitches in CC. Either way, I’m sure you will love your new blanket.
It’s a fairly solid blanket, making this great for the cold winter months. Or, you could also use this as a floor blanket throughout the year. Another option would be to increase the length and use it as a crib blanket.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is very simple with the single crochet, double crochet and the double crochet cross stitch.
It’s an easy stitch pattern for those who have mastered the basic stitches and are ready to learn the cross stitch.
The finished size is 37 inches square. But in a multiple of 2+1 for your starting chains you can easily crochet this to any size you want.
Here is a blanket sizing chart to use as a reference.
I used Bernat Baby Sport. It’s a medium #3 weight baby yarn. It’s perfect for the baby blanket. But if you want to make a lapghan or a throw, you could basically choose any kind of yarn that you like.
Bernat Super Value and Red Heart Super Saver are two economic yarns that work very well in blankets. They are easy to wash and last a long time!
Other Patterns to Try
- Broomstick Lace Crochet Baby Blanket with Ruffled Edge
- Blossom Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- ESC Round Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Simple Lace Easy Crochet Baby Blanket
- Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Baby Blanket
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (Light, #3; 100% acrylic; 300g/10.5oz) Color: Fresh Sky, 2 balls.
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 15 sts = 4"
- Finished Size: 37" by 37".
- Ch 141, or any multiple of 2 + 1 to obtain the width of the blanket.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, sc into 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [140 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), dc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [140 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [140 sts]
- Row 4: Ch 2, dc in first 2 sts, *sk next st, dc in next st, backtrack and dc in skipped st; rep from * across to last 2 sts, dc in last 2 sts. Turn. [140 sts]
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [140 sts]
- Rows 6-103: Rep Rows 2-5, ending with row 3 at last rep. Fasten Off at last row. [140 sts]