The front loop single crochet baby blanket pattern features a nice solid stitch pattern along with a pretty ribbed texture. The stitch looks great in a variegated yarn, but you can choose a solid color, or add a few stripes using up leftovers.
Whatever you decide, this crochet baby blanket is the perfect baby shower gift any time of the year. It is perfect for both genders and is easy to match up with any outfit.
The finished size is 28.5 inches square, which makes it great for newborns. But, there is no stitch pattern for this blanket, which makes it super easy to adjust the number of starting chains to any measurement that you need. Use this blanket size chart to make it easier to determine measurements.
I used Bernat Baby Sport, a light #3 acrylic baby yarn. The color is Baby Baby Ombre, a lovely variegated yarn perfect for Easter and spring.
Any other similar yarn will work as you can easily adjust the number of stitches needed to get the size you want.
Can You Make a Blanket with Single Crochet?
Absolutely! And it can be just as pretty and appreciated as any other blanket. And this easy crochet baby blanket pattern proves it!
The single crochet stitch in this blanket is worked like normal, except that you only pick up the front loops of the previous stitches. By working only into the front loops, the back loops are left to add a slightly ribbed texture, making this baby blanket stand out from the rest.
If you are a beginner and are not comfortable working into the front loops only, you can certainly go under both loops until you are ready to try it just under one loop. I promise you will love the results.
You Might Also Enjoy These Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
Front Loop Single Crochet Baby Blanket
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (Light, #3; 100% acrylic; 280g/9.8oz) Color: Baby Baby Ombre, 1 ball.
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 18 sts 4".
- Finished Size: 28.5" by 28.5"
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Flsc = Front Loop Single Crochet
- Rep = Repeat
- RS = Right Side
- Sc = Single Crochet
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Crochet Abbreviations explained in more details.
- The front loop single crochet is the same as a normal single crochet, except it is worked into the front loops only of the previous stitches.
- Ch 131, or any number needed to get the width you need.
- Row 1 (RS): Working into back bumps, sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [130 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, flsc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [130 sts]
- Rows 3-116: Rep Row 2.
- With RS facing, ch 1, flsc in first st, *flsc into next st and each st across to last st, work 3 flsc into last st; turn to work along the side and sc evenly across to the next corner*; work 3 flsc in corner; rep from * to *; work another 2 flsc into the same st as the first flsc, join with slip stitch in first sc. Fasten off.
Leave a Reply