Not only does this preemie baby blanket crochet pattern feature a lovely texture, but it is also super easy and mindless to work on! This pattern will keep you company whether you love your music or the TV. The only problem is that you’ll be done before you’re ready to be done… I’m sure you know what I mean.
This crochet cross-stitch baby blanket is super cozy as well. The stitches are nice and close together to keep the cold drafts out, making it a great winter blanket for the little ones. It’s a great pattern for baby showers, hospitals, and other charity donations.
Another bonus is that it can be made for both genders. Simply choose your colors to match the gender and you’re all set.
I made mine in a preemie size with a measurement of 21 inches square. But, the pattern adjusts easily to any dimension that you have in mind from baby sizes to a full-sized bed blanket. This blanket size chart can help to take the guesswork out.
Since making this for a baby, I chose Bernat Baby Sport. The yarn is a size 3, and is nice and soft for babies. It is acrylic, so if you’re worried about the little one’s skin, you can just as easily use a natural material like cotton. Just do a gauge swatch and go from there when making adjustments to your starting chains.
If you decide to make this in bigger sizes you could go with just about any yarn including a super bulky yarn.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch used is one of my very favorite stitches, but worked in the cross stitch: the extended single crochet!
The extended single crochet is slightly taller than the single crochet, but still fairly short. And when worked in a cross-stitch pattern, it pulls the fabric together nicely to give you a super cozy blanket, not to mention a pretty texture on both sides of the fabric.
I worked mine in a solid color, but this is one of those stitch patterns that makes it super easy to incorporate as much color as you would like.
I did not add an edging to this baby blanket pattern, but you most certainly can. Here are some crochet edging patterns to choose from if you like.
ESC Cross Stitch Preemie Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (Light, #3; 100% acrylic; 280g/9.8oz; 1004yds/918m) Color: Baby Taupe
- Crochet Hook: G – 4mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 17 sts and 12 rows = 4".
- Finished Size: 21" by 21"
Special Stitch Instructions
- Extended Single Crochet (esc): Insert hook in st indicated, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 1 lp, yo and pull through both lps on hook.
- Don't make your starting chains too lose because the stitches get pulled together once you start making the cross stitch. You may need to go down a hook size for the chains in order to keep the edge from buckling.
- Ch 91, or any multiple of 2 + 1.
- Row 1: Esc in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, esc in next ch, backtrack and esc in skipped ch; rep from * across to the last ch, esc in the last ch. Turn. [90 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, esc in first st, *sk next st, esc in next st, backtrack and esc in skipped st; rep from * across to the last st, esc in the last st. Turn. [90 sts]
- Rows 3-65: Rep Row 2. [90 sts] Fasten off after the last row or continue with an optional edging.
- Go down one hook size, or whatever is needed to keep things flat.
- Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.