This crochet preemie blanket pattern is worked up in two colors to bring about a pretty design. The two colors fall into neat columns of color to keep your baby happy and entertained.
The baby blanket pattern only measures 20 inches square, but it can be adjusted to any size you need in a multiple of 6 plus 2. And you can also use any yarn and hook size suitable for the yarn. Use this blanket size chart as a reference.
I had two balls of yarn left over from a couple of other baby projects and decided to use them up here. I love how it turned out with two colors, but the stitch pattern also looks great in a single color. Or, choose a number of cheerful colors if you want. Babies love color, so this makes the perfect pattern to use up leftover yarns for them.
As is, this also makes for a great doll blanket for the larger dolls.
Best of all, it’s a mindless pattern for times when you need to think or just relax in front of the TV. The only downfall is that you’re fastening off after each row, leaving a lot of loose ends to weave in. But I’d say it’s worth it, what do you think?
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Clustered V-St Crochet Preemie Blanket Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (Light, #3; 100% acrylic; 300g/10.5oz) Colors: Fresh Sky, 250 yds; White, 210 yds.
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 1 (cl v-st, ch 1, sc, ch 1) = 1 stitch repeat. 3 stitch repeats = 4.5".
- Finished Size: 20" by 20".
Special Stitch Instructions
- Cl V-St: *[Yo and insert hk into ch/st as indicated, yo and pull through, yo and pull through 2 lps] 2 times, (3 lps on hk) yo and pull through all 3 lps *, ch 1; rep from * to * once in the same ch/st.
To Change Color
- Work the stitch as normal until the last step and you have two loops left on hook; drop the old color, pick up the new color and draw through both loops to complete the stitch.
- Fasten off the old color after each color change.
- Change color after each row.
- 6 + 2.
- With CA, ch 80.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hk, sc in next ch, sk next ch, work cl-v-st in next ch, *ch 1, sk next 2 chs, sc in next ch, ch 1, sk next 2 chs, work cl-v-st in next ch; rep from * across to last 3 chs, sk next ch, sc in last 2 chs, changing to CB in last st. Turn. [13 cl v-sts]
- Row 2: With CB, ch 2 (does not count as stitch, now and throughout), dc in first 2 sc, ch 1, sc in sp of next cl-v-st, ch 1, *work cl-v-st in next sc, ch 1, sc in sp of next cl-v-st, ch 1; rep from * across to last 2 sc; dc in last 2 sc changing to CA in last st. Turn. [12 cl v-sts]
- Row 3: With CA, ch 1, sc in first 2 dc, work cl-v-st in next sc, *ch 1, sc in sp of next cl-v-st, ch 1, cl-v-st in next sc; rep from * across to last 2 dc; sc in last 2 dc, changing to CB in last st. Turn. [13 cl v-sts]
- Rows 4-50: Rep Rows 2 and 3 until you have reached a desired width, making sure to end with Pattern Row 2.
- Rnds 1-2: Decide which side you want as the right side. Then join CA with a standing single crochet and sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with slip stitch in first sc. Fasten Off.
- The video below shows you how to work this stitch pattern in a single color.