Here is a quick and easy baby blanket to crochet for both baby boys and baby girls. The pattern is given for a small blanket, so it’s perfect for newborns.
For this baby blanket, I used one ball of Ice Cream yarn by Lion Brand. It’s a self striping yarn, but you can substitute any yarn that you have on hand – work it up in a solid color, or in a pretty striped pattern if you like.
If you need to increase the size, you can easily do so in the multiple provided. And if you need it to be a specific size, here is a blanket sizes chart to make that easy for you.
The open stitch pattern makes this ideal for the summer weather, especially if you were to substitute a cotton yarn. And if you’d like something a bit more solid for the winter, you can always line the back with a solid fabric.
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop (Light, #3, 100% Acrylic; 10oz./284g) Color: Blue Moon, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 16 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 30" by 30".
- I provided instructions for an edging, however, I left it off on mine due to the self-striping yarn.
- Refer to this Blanket Sizes Chart if you need to adjust the size.
- Ch 124, or any multiple of 3 + 1.
- Row 1 (RS): Dc in 3rd ch from hook and into each ch across. (Skipped chs do not count as st.) Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 2 (WS): Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), dc in first 2 sts, *ch 1, skip next st, dc in next 2 sts; repeat from * across. Turn. [82 sts and 40 ch-1 sps]
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st and ch across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 5: Ch 2, dc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Rows 6-85: Repeat Rows 2-5.
- With RS facing, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with a slip stitch in first sc. Fasten Off.