Here is a quick and easy baby blanket to crochet for both baby boys and baby girls. The pattern is given for a small blanket, so it’s perfect for newborns. But it’s super easy to adjust this as needed to other sizes as well.
My favorite part about this pattern is the fact that it is mindless. It’s the perfect pattern for the TV, music or while chit-chatting with your friends. It keeps your hands busy while your mind can do other things to entertain or just relax.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is worked with simple single crochets, double crochets and chain one spaces.
The openness from the spaces makes this ideal for the summer weather, especially if you were to substitute a cotton yarn. And if you’d like something a bit more solid for the winter, you can always line the back with a solid fabric.
For this baby blanket, I used one ball of Ice Cream yarn by Lion Brand. It’s a light #3 acrylic yarn. It is self-striping, and it worked out beautifully for this blanket in terms of the stripes falling in place for a beautiful color design. It’s like the yarn was made for this stitch pattern.
The yarn is similar to Bernat Baby Sport, which is a good substitute for this.
This blanket measures 30 by 30 inches square. If you need to increase or decrease the size, you can do so by starting off with any multiple of 3 plus 1 chains. And if you need it to be a specific size, here is a blanket sizes chart to make that easy for you.
Other Patterns to Try
- Blossom Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Offset Shell Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Baby Blanket
- Two Color Crochet Baby Blanket
- Seed Stitch Bernat Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop (Light, #3, 100% Acrylic; 10oz./284g) Color: Blue Moon, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 16 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 30" by 30".
- I provided instructions for an edging, however, I left it off on mine due to the self-striping yarn.
- Refer to this Blanket Sizes Chart if you need to adjust the size.
- Ch 124, or any multiple of 3 + 1.
- Row 1 (RS): Dc in 3rd ch from hook and into each ch across. (Skipped chs do not count as st.) Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 2 (WS): Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), dc in first 2 sts, *ch 1, skip next st, dc in next 2 sts; repeat from * across. Turn. [82 sts and 40 ch-1 sps]
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st and ch across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 5: Ch 2, dc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Rows 6-85: Repeat Rows 2-5.
- With RS facing, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with a slip stitch in first sc. Fasten Off.