Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Here is a quick and easy baby blanket crochet pattern for both baby boys and baby girls. It’s the perfect go-to pattern to make ahead and have ready for your next baby shower gift. The free pattern is given for a small blanket, so it’s perfect for newborns. But it’s super easy to adjust this as needed for other sizes as well.
My favorite part about this crochet baby blanket pattern is the fact that it is mindless. It’s the perfect pattern for the TV, music or while chit-chatting with your friends. It keeps your hands busy while your mind can do other things to entertain or just relax.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is worked with basic crochet stitches consisting of the single crochet and the double crochet stitch and chain one spaces. It is perfect for beginners who have mastered the basics and are comfortable with skipping stitches.
The openness from the spaces makes this ideal for the summer weather, especially if you were to substitute a cotton yarn. And if you’d like something a bit more solid for the winter, you can always line the back with a solid fabric.
The open stitches along the one row may not make this suitable for nap time. But it’s the perfect blanket for when mom is around and able to keep an eye on those little fingers and toes.
The finished blanket measures 30 by 30 inches square. If you need to increase or decrease the size, you can do so by starting off with any multiple of 3 plus 1 chains.
And if you need it to be a specific size, here is a blanket sizes chart to make that easy for you. The chart includes several crochet baby blanket sizes, thus making it easy to customize this for strollers, a crib blanket for older babies, or any size you need from a small lovey to a full-sized blanket.
The best to make a change in size is to do a gauge swatch and the recalculate your starting chains accordingly. That makes it super easy to substitute with just about any yarn that you want.
For this simple baby blanket, I used one ball of Ice Cream yarn by Lion Brand. The yarn is a light #3 acrylic yarn. It is self-striping, and it worked out beautifully for this blanket in terms of the stripes falling in place for a beautiful color design. It’s like the yarn was made for this stitch pattern.
Rainbow colors or any other stripes would also work well with this free crochet pattern. Thus, the perfect stashbuster for cleaning up a bunch of odds and ends in your baby yarn stash.
I used only one skein, but if you plan on making it bigger, you’ll need at least two skeins of yarn. The yarn is similar to Bernat Baby Sport, which is a good substitute for this.
Although you could substitute with just about any yarn, due to the holes in this blanket, I wouldn’t use a worsted weight for a newborn blanket, as that will only increase the size of holes even further. Basically any yarn weight that is soft and works with a G crochet hook can be used to substitute for this. The yarn label usually has a recommended hook size that you can go by.
Other Free Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns to Try
- Blossom Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Offset Shell Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Baby Blanket
- Two Color Crochet Baby Blanket
- Seed Stitch Bernat Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop (Light, #3, 100% Acrylic; 10oz./284g) Color: Blue Moon, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 16 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 30" by 30".
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Dc = Double Crochet
- RS = Right Side
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- WS = Wrong Side
- I provided instructions for an edging, however, I left it off on mine due to the self-striping yarn.
- Refer to this Blanket Sizes Chart if you need to adjust the size.
- Ch 124, or any multiple of 3 + 1.
- Row 1 (RS): Dc in 3rd ch from hook and into each ch across. (Skipped chs do not count as st.) Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 2 (WS): Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 2 (does not count as st, now and throughout), dc in first 2 sts, *ch 1, skip next st, dc in next 2 sts; repeat from * across. Turn. [82 sts and 40 ch-1 sps]
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc into first st and into each st and ch across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 5: Ch 2, dc into first st and into each st across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Rows 6-85: Repeat Rows 2-5.
- With RS facing, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with a slip stitch in first sc. Fasten Off.
Single Crochet and Cross Stitch Lapghan
This crochet lapghan is easy and mindless to crochet. I worked mine in a solid color, but the stitch pattern is easy to work in stripes as well.
Puffy Spike Stitch Christmas Crochet Blanket for Toddlers
Use this pretty Christmas blanket for your toddler, as a lapghan, or adjust it to any size that you want for use throughout your home.
HDC Criss Cross Super Bulky Child’s Blanket
This super bulky child’s blanket works up quick and can be used by everyone, not just children.
Slanted Cluster Crochet Toddler Blanket in Super Bulky Yarn
Free crochet toddler blanket pattern using a super bulky yarn. The crochet blanket is perfect for a toddler, but can also be used by adults as a lapghan.
Christmas Crochet Lapghan Pattern
Although shown in Christmas colors, this crochet lapghan would look great in any colors to match your home or any other season.
Super Bulky Easy Crochet Lapghan
This super bulky easy crochet lapghan pattern works up quick and can be adjusted in size as needed. It can also be used as a toddler blanket.
Great looking pattern and I just printed it out to start a blanket for the VA. I will increase the starting change to make it just a bit larger for a lapghan. Thanks for the pretty pattern!
I just got a skein of Ice cream big scoop and ran across this pattern. Very cute! Now I know what to crochet!