This shell baby blanket crochet pattern features an offset shell stitch to give you pretty lace that can be used for both baby boys and girls.
This shell stitch baby blanket works up quick, making it great for a last-minute baby shower gift. Or, because it works up so quickly, make a bunch in various baby colors to have them handy ahead of time. I chose a solid color, but the pattern also looks great in stripes, making it great for stashbusting as well! A variegated yarn might also look great.
My favorite thing about this baby blanket is that it’s super easy to work on while watching TV. Once you get past the first row, you simply feel for the chain one space, making it super easy whip up without having to constantly look down.
Just a note of caution, if you’re making this for a newborn to always make sure that you keep a close eye. The holes in this blanket are large enough to get tangled in their tiny hands and feet.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern used for this design is called the “off-set shell”. The shell is made with three double crochets, a chain one, and another double crochet into the same stitch or space.
Then the next row of shells is worked into the chain one spaces of the previous row.
The Finished Size
The finished blanket measures 36 by 36 inches square. The stitch multiple for the starting chain is 5+2, making it easy to make adjustments to the size if you like. This blanket size chart can be used as a reference.
I used a light #3 baby yarn to make this crochet blanket. The yarn is soft, and baby safe. But if you want to make it bigger as a throw or lapghan, you can choose any worsted weight yarn that you like.
See More Free Crochet Patterns for Baby Blankets
- Blossom Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Two Color Baby Blanket
- ESC Round Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Double Crochet and Cross Stitch Baby Blanket
- Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Offset Shell Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Loops and Threads Snuggly Wuggly Big! (Light; #3; 100% Acrylic; 1263yds/1154m; 14oz/396g) Color: Baby Denim Marl, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00MM
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 4 shell sts = 5".
- Finished Size: 36" by 36"
Special Stitch Instructions
- Shell: (3 dc, ch 1, 1 dc) in designated ch or sp.
- Ch 142, or any multiple of 5 + 2.
- Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook (skipped chs count as first dc), sk next 2 chs, shell in next ch, *sk next 4 chs, shell in next ch; rep from * across to last 4 chs, sk next 2 chs, dc in last 2 chs. Turn. [27 shells and 4 dc]
- Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in next st, shell in next ch-1 sp and into each ch-1 sp across, sk next 3 sts, dc in last 2 sts. Turn. [27 shells and 4 dc]
- Rows 3-59: Rep row 2.
- Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner. Join with slip stitch in first st. Fasten Off.