Crochet this baby blanket in any colors, in any yarn and to any size that you need from a baby blanket to a full-sized afghan.
The crochet baby blanket is shown here in five pretty fall colors, however, you can choose any colors that you like to match any season or holiday. With five colors it works well to change colors after every row, and the new color is always there, ready and waiting without having to fasten off. The same works if you work with three colors.
You can also work this stitch with two colors, This is a totally new look as I changed the colors after every two rows. But, as with above I didn’t have to fasten off, as color changes were made along one side of the work. Here is the crochet dishcloth instructions as shown below.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is super easy if you’re comfortable with working multiple stitches into one stitch. This pattern is worked with the single crochet, the double crochet and a chain one space worked into one stitch. Then skip two to maintain your stitch counts.
It’s very similar to the seed stitch, but with a chain one added in after the double crochet.
The finished size is for a 27.5 by 26.5 inch blanket. It’s perfect for newborns to keep them warm in their car seat, or as a fun playmat on the floor.
But, you can easily crochet this to any size that you want by increasing the foundation chains in any multiple of 3 +1. Here is a Crochet Blanket Sizes Chart to help you decide on the correct size.
I used Vanna’s Choice yarn. It is soft and easy to work with, and soft enough for most babies. But, because it’s so easy to adjust, you are free to use your favorite yarn and hook size that you have on hand.
Other Patterns to Try
- Seed Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Blossom Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Broomstick Lace Crochet Baby Blanket with Ruffled Edge
- Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Simple Lace Easy Crochet Baby Blanket
Swish-Swash Fall Crochet Baby Blanket
- Yarn: Vanna's Choice (100% acrylic, worsted weight #4, 3.5 oz/100g – 170yds/156m) – 5 colors: (A) Rust, (B) Olive, (C) Honey, (D) Cranberry and (E) Mustard
- Crochet Hook: I/9-5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: Approximately 2.5" over 9 sts, and 3" over 10 rows
- Finished Size: Approximately 27.5" by 26.25"
- Carry unused yarn up at the sides.
- Color sequence shown is as follows:
- A – Rust
- B – Olive
- C – Honey
- D – Cranberry
- E – Mustard
- With A, ch 100, or any multiple of 3 + 1.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, (sc, dc, ch 1) in next ch, *sk next 2 chs, (sc, dc, ch 1) in next ch; rep from * across to last 4 chs, sk next 2 chs, sc in last 2 chs. Turn. [67 sts and 32 ch-1's]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first sc, *(sc, dc, ch 1) in next sc, sk ch-1 and dc; rep from * across up to last 2 sc; sc in last 2 sc. Turn. [67 sts and 32 ch-1's]
- Rows 3-86: Repeat Row 2 changing colors after every row. I used 5 colors in this blanket, but 3 colors also look lovely. Carry unused yarn up at each side.
- Rnd 1: With A, ch 1, sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner. Join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.
And don’t forget to check out the collection at CPB for Crochet Baby Blankets.