This twisted ear warmer crochet pattern features a lovely, yet simple lace that you’ll enjoy wearing instead of a hat. In the cool fall weather, it is all you need to keep your ears warm. And in extreme temperatures, you can wear it underneath the hood of your jacket.
Another use is to hide a bad hair day! Especially in the fall with the winds blowing your hair in all directions. You can simply pull your hair back in a bun and slip this over and you’re all set to run errands without people having to wonder where the tornado touched down! :)
You do not need much yarn for this ear warmer pattern, which makes it a great stash buster and a great gift idea for everyone on your list.
The finished size for this simple ear warmer is 21″ in circumference by 3.5″ wide. It is for an adult large but can be adjusted if needed in the multiple provided.
The width can be adjusted by doing fewer repeats of the pattern rows. Doing fewer repeats will take away from the pretty lace, but it can still look nice even with only one or two rows of the V’s. However, you can try a thinner yarn, such as a DK or even a fine if you want to narrow it down without losing the lace.
Use the crochet ear warmer size chart to make this for any head circumference you need.
Vanna’s choice is a good yarn when it comes to crocheting ear warmers. Although a medium worsted weight yarn, it tends to give more stretch than most other acrylic yarn in this category.
If you need to make yarn substitutions, try to look for something similar that will give you a lot of stretch.
The Stitch Pattern
The free crochet pattern is super easy to crochet! The stitches are easy enough for beginners who are comfortable with skipping stitches and working into chains.
It’s simply the half double crochet worked into one row, with the half double crochet v-stitch and chain one spaces in the next row. It’s easy and mindless once you have it down.
Half Double and V-stitch Twisted Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Lion Brand Yarns – Vanna's Choice (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% acrylic; 3.5oz/100g; 170 yds/156 m)
- Crochet Hook: J 6.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 12 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 21" circumference by 3.5" wide.
Special Stitch Instructions
- V-St: (hdc, ch 1, hdc) into designated st.
- Loosely ch 70, or any multiple of 4 + 2.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, hdc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [69 hdc]
- Row 2: Ch 1, hdc in first st, sk next st, (v-st, ch 1) in next st, *sk next 3 sts, (v-st, ch 1) in next st; repeat from * across to last 2 sts omitting last ch-1, sk next st, hdc in last st. Turn. [17 v-sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, hdc in first st and into each st and ch across. Turn. [69 hdc]
- Rows 4-7: Repeat Rows 2 and 3. Fasten off, leaving a 10" tail for sewing.