This crochet twisted ear warmer pattern is worked in a bit of an open stitch, making it great for the spring and fall weather. And in super cold weather, it can be worn underneath a hood for extra warmth.
You don’t need much yarn for this, making it great for cleaning up leftovers. Plus, it works up quick, making it great for last-minute gift ideas.
How it’s Made
The crochet ear warmer is started and finished off with two rows of single crochets. The main stitch pattern consists of the extended single crochet and chain one spaces. It is super easy stitch for those who have mastered the single crochet and are ready for a new stitch.
The ear warmer is worked in rows until you have the width that you need. At that point, fasten off leaving a 10 inch tail for sewing the ends together.
How Do You Sew A Twisted Headband Together?
Step 1. To sew the twist, fold the band lengthwise with the Right Sides together and the Wrong Sides facing the outside.
Step 2. Layer the band as shown so that the edges overlap from the center. You can place your stitch markers in the middle if you like. I just eyeballed it, because you can adjust it in Step 5 as needed.
Step 3. Then fold one end over the other as shown below.
Step 4. Next, fold the second end over so that the ends interlock.
Step. 5. You should have four layers. Make adjustments as needed to make sure everything is centered evenly.
Step 6. With your tail end of the yarn, and using a tapestry needle, sew across making sure to go through all four layers.
Step 7. Turn right side out to hide the seam. Easy Peasy!!!
The finished size is 22 inches around by 3.5 inches wide. However, in a simple multiple of two for the starting chains, you can make this in any size that you want from child to adult. Use this ear warmer size chart to make this for any head circumference you like.
The finished size is shown on an adult small head, but will stretch to fit a medium as well.
I used Vanna’s Choice, a medium worsted weight yarn with an 5.5 mm crochet hook. The yarn gives you a nice stretch, which makes it ideal for ear warmers. But, any similar yarn can be used to substitute.
You Might Also Enjoy These
- Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern for Beginners
- Bouncy Bubbly Ear Warmer Headband
- Simple Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
- Criss Cross Crochet Ear Warmer
- Blossom Stitch Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
ESC – Twist Front Crochet Ear Warmer
- Yarn: Vanna's Choice (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% acrylic; 3.5oz/100g; 170 yds/156 m).
- Crochet Hook: I 5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 10 sts = 3".
- Finished Size: 11" across by 3.5" wide when laid flat.
Special Stitch Instructions
- ESC: Insert hook in stitch indicated, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through one loop, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook.
- Ch-1 made at end of row counts as turning ch.
- Loosely Ch 76, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Ch 1, Turn. [75 sts]
- Row 2: Sc in first st and into each st across. Ch 1, Turn. [75 sts]
- Row 3: (Esc, ch 1) in first st, *sk next st, (esc, ch 1) in next st; rep from * across. Turn. [38 esc]
- Row 4: (Esc, ch 1) in first esc and into each esc across. Turn. [38 esc]
- Rows 5-9: Same as row 4.
- Row 10. Sc in first st and into each st and ch across. Ch 1, Turn. [75 sts]
- Row 11: Sc in first st and into each st across. Fasten off, leaving a 10" tail for sewing.