The crunch stitch crochet bag pattern features a nice texture and color tone if worked in at least two colors. I love the appearance of horizontal stitching after each pattern repeat.
Although given in one size only, you can adjust this crochet bag pattern as needed. To do so, you will need to know how to increase the bottom as well as how to make adjustments to the handles.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is none other than the crunch stitch! It’s a simple pattern with only the half double crochet and slip stitch. It’s very easy to do, as long as you keep your stitches loose. I find the slip stitch can get difficult to work into if you crochet too tight.
The bag is started at the bottom with single crochets to make a rectangle. Then starting at round 5, you begin to turn your work to help bring out the pretty texture of the stitch.
For this bag I used a worsted weight cotton yarn. I find the cotton stretches less, making for a more durable bag. However, I have made many bags in acrylic, and if you line them they can last a long time too! The choice is yours.
If you decide to go with cotton, Bernat Handicrafter and Lily Sugar ‘N Cream are my go-to cottons, but anything similar will do. You could choose a variegated yarn, but for this design I would recommend a solid color, just to bring out the stitch pattern better.
The size is on the small size, with only 10.5 inches wide when laid flat. But, it is super easy to make bigger if needed. To do that, simply increase the size of your rectangle for the bottom by doing more increase rounds as established.
The crunch stitch pattern is a multiple of two, so you can stop at any round you like as each round should give you a multiple of two. As for the handles, you will need to do a bit of math, but here is a tutorial that shows you how to make your handles on any sized bag: how to make crochet bag handles.
Other Patterns to Try
- Single Crochet Bag
- Moss Stitch Beginner Crochet Bag
- Blossom Crochet Beach Bag Pattern
- Bouncy Bubbly Tote
- Over-The-Shoulder Crochet Bag
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Crunch Stitch Crochet Bag Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton #4 Cotton in 2 colors (3 1.75oz balls of CA, and 2 1.75 oz balls of CB.)
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle, Material for Lining and Optional Zipper
- Gauge: 2" over 7 sc sts.
- Finished Size: Laying flat it measures 10.5" wide by 9" high, not counting the handles. Bottom measures 2.5" wide. Is easy to increase to any size.
- Begin to turn your work at round 5, and continue to turn after each round through 38.
- New color is joined at the joining sl st of the round.
- Carry yarn up to avoid unnecessary loose ends.
- RS is on Uneven rounds and WS is on even rounds.
- See this tutorial on how to line a bag. Zipper is optional.
- See video below the pattern on how to work your bag handles.
- Rnd 1: With CA, loosely ch 28, sc in 2nd ch from hk and in next 25 chs, 3 sc in last ch. Working on opposite side of starting chs, sc in free lps of next 25 chs, 2 sc in last ch; join with sl st in first sc. [56 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 3 sc in same st as join, *sc in next 25 sts, 3 sc in next st, sc in next st*, 3 sc in next st; rep from * to * once; join with sl st in first sc. [64 sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, *3 sc in next st, sc in next 27 sts, 3 sc in next st*, sc in next 3 sts; rep from * to * once, then sc in last 2 sts; join with sl st in first sc. [72 sts]
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and in next st, *3 sc in next st, sc in next 29 sts, 3 sc in next st*, sc in next 5 sts; rep from * to * once, then sc in last 3 sts; join with sl st in first sc. [80 sts]
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [80 sts] Turn.
- Rnd 6: (WS) Ch 1, hdc in first st, sl st in next st, *hdc in next st, sl st in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first hdc. [80 sts] Turn
- Rnd 7: (RS) Ch 1, hdc in first sl st, sl st in next hdc, *hdc in next sl st, sl st in next hdc; rep from * around; join with sl st in first hdc. [80 sts] Turn
- Rnds 8-9: With CB, rep rnd 7 for 2 rnds.
- Rnds 10-11: With CA, rep rnd 7 for 2 rnds.
- Rnds 12-37: Rep rnds 8-11 changing color after every two rnds, and ending rnd 37 with CB.
- Rnd 38: (WS) With CA, Rep rnd 7.
- Rnd 39: (RS) With CA, Ch 1, sc in each st around; join with sl st in first sc. Do NOT Turn at this round or hereafter.
- Note: Mark off your handles so that you have 16 stitches in the middle on each side of the bag. Then use Rnd 40 as a guide leaving the 16 middle stitches unworked.
- Rnd 40: With CA, Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into next 11 sts, *loosely ch 60 (or any number), skip next 16 sts*, sc in next 24 sts; rep from * to * once, sc in last 12 sts; join with sl st in first sc. [48 sc and 120 chs]
- Rnd 41: With CB, ch 1, sc in same st as join and into next 11 sts, *working into back bumps of chs, sc in each ch, sc in each sc st; rep from * once, join with sl st in first sc. [168 sts]
- Rnd 42: With CA, Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 43: With CB, rep rnd 42.
- Rnd 44: With CA, rep rnd 42. Fasten off.