This free crochet ear warmer pattern features a nice open stitch, which makes it perfect for the spring and fall seasons. It’s perfect for days when the weather is not too cold but cold enough to need a little extra to keep your ears warm.
If you need more warmth than what this ear warmer has to offer you can always wear this under a hood as an extra layer.
The ear warmer works up quickly and makes for a great gift for anyone on your list.
The pattern is given to fit one size, an adult small. But in a simple multiple of 4 you can easily adjust it to any size you need from child to adult. Use this Crochet Ear Warmer Size Chart as a reference guide.
As is, when laid flat it measures 9.5″ across and 3″ wide.
I used a medium worsted weight yarn called Caron Simply Soft. I like the yarn because it is so durable, yet soft-looking yarn.
Vanna’s Choice or any similar yarn .could be used as a substitute.
How it’s Made
This easy ear warmer pattern is worked in the round using the blossom stitch. The stitch is easy to make and is worked over two pattern rows.
In one row you work the v-stitch and single crochets. Then for the next row, you simply work the single crochet followed by a chain, and then a double crochet followed by a chain.
The hardest part about the blossom stitch is remembering which row you are on!
Blossom Stitch Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
- Yarn: Caron Simply Soft (Worsted Weight (#4) 100% acrylic, 6 oz/170.1 g – 315 yds/288 m)
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 17 sts = 4"
- Finished Size: Laying flat it measures 9.5" across and 3" wide.
Special Stitch Instructions
- V-St: (dc, ch 1, dc) in designated chain or space.
- Rnd 1: Fsc 80, or any multiple of 4, join with sl st in first st being careful not to twist.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, *sk next st, V-St in next st, sk next st**, sc in next st; rep from * around ending last rep at **; join with sl st in first sc. [20 V-sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch-1 sp), *(sc, ch 1) in v-st**, (dc, ch 1) in next sc; rep from * around ending last rep at **; join with sl st in first dc. [40 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, *V-st in next sc**, sc in next dc; rep from * around ending last rep at **; join with sl st in first sc. [20 V-sts]
- Rnds 5-9: Rep rnds 3 and 4 until you have reached a desired width making sure to end with rnd 3.
- Rnd 10: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.