This crochet lace placemat pattern is worked up in the blossom stitch to give you a nice simple lace throughout. It’s an open stitch, but still solid enough to give your table the protection it needs against plates and other dinner ware. If you need more protection, you can crochet up a solid layer to go behind this, or you can use fabric to sew a liner for the back.
The crochet placemat pattern is great for any kind of table, whether round, square or oval. And it’s great for everyday use or special occasions!
I like the potpourri ombre yarn that I used here. It matches my table perfectly, but any solid color or other ombres would look nice too.
The Stitch Pattern
The blossom stitch pattern is worked with basic crochet stitches such as the chains, single crochet and double crochet stitches.
The rows are alternated between the double crochet v-stitch and the single crochet in one row, followed by the double crochet and chain one and the single crochet and chain one in the next row.
It is very simple and mindless, but the final result is nice enough for any occasion.
The Finished Size
The finished size after blocking is 18 inches by 13 inches. The size is super easy to adjust to anything bigger or smaller as you need in a multiple of four for the starting chains.
For a placemat I always recommend a cotton yarn because it is heat resistant. For this pattern I used Lily Sugar ‘N’ Cream. It is a worsted weight cotton material that works well with a 5 mm crochet hook. Another similar yarn that would work well with this is Bernat Handicrafter Cotton.
Other Crochet Placemat Patterns
- Simple Seeded Lace Crochet Placemat
- Seed Stitch Crochet Placemat Pattern
- Crochet Rectangle Placemat
- Puff Stitch Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster Set
- A Bullion Stitch Crochet Lace Placemat Pattern
Blossom Stitch Crochet Lace Placemat Pattern
- Yarn: Lily Sugar 'n Cream – Cone (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 400g/14oz; 616 meters/674yds) Color: Potpourri Ombre, 1 cone
- Crochet Hook: H 5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Finished Size: 18" by 13"
- Gauge: 14 sts/chs = 4"
Special Stitch Instructions
- V-St: (dc, ch 1, dc) in the designated chain or space.
- Blossom Stitch Tutorial
- Ch 62 or any multiple of 4 + 2.
- Row 1 (RS): Sc in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, v-st in next ch, sk next ch, sc in next ch; rep from * across. Turn. [15 V-sts]
- Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch-1 sp), (sc, ch 1) in first v-st, *(dc, ch 1) in next sc, (sc, ch 1) in next v-st; rep from * across to last sc, dc in last sc. Turn. [30 ch-1 sps]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, *v-st in next sc, sc in next dc; rep from * across. Turn. [15 V-sts]
- Rows 4-29: Rep rows 2-3.
- Rnds 1-2: Sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner. Join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off at the last round.
This v-stitch crochet pattern is perfect for the winter to keep you warm and cozy. Customize the colors and the size to make it yours.
This twisted ear warmer crochet pattern is given in an adult size, but can be adjusted for children’s sizes as well.
This crochet light weight cowl pattern is perfect for the spring and fall seasons. The simple lace cowl crochet pattern works up quick and easy, and can be adjusted in size as needed.
Make this cross stitch crochet dishcloth pattern in a solid or a variegated yarn. Both look great and will be appreciated as part of any housewarming gift
This lapghan crochet pattern works up quick and easy. It is the perfect size for draping over your lap, or for toddlers and children to snuggle under.
Crochet this twisted ear warmer pattern to any size that you need from child to adult. It’s easy to modify both the circumference and the width.