This crochet lace placemat pattern is worked up in the blossom stitch to give you a nice simple lace throughout. It’s an open stitch, but still solid enough to give your table the protection it needs against plates and other dinner ware. If you need more protection, you can crochet up a solid layer to go behind this, or you can use fabric to sew a liner for the back.
The crochet placemat pattern is great for any kind of table, whether round, square or oval. And it’s great for everyday use or special occasions!
I like the potpourri ombre yarn that I used here. It matches my table perfectly, but any solid color or other ombres would look nice too.
The Stitch Pattern
The blossom stitch pattern is worked with basic crochet stitches such as the chains, single crochet and double crochet stitches.
The rows are alternated between the double crochet v-stitch and the single crochet in one row, followed by the double crochet and chain one and the single crochet and chain one in the next row.
It is very simple and mindless, but the final result is nice enough for any occasion.
The Finished Size
The finished size after blocking is 18 inches by 13 inches. The size is super easy to adjust to anything bigger or smaller as you need in a multiple of four for the starting chains.
For a placemat I always recommend a cotton yarn because it is heat resistant. For this pattern I used Lily Sugar ‘N’ Cream. It is a worsted weight cotton material that works well with a 5 mm crochet hook. Another similar yarn that would work well with this is Bernat Handicrafter Cotton.
Other Crochet Placemat Patterns
- Simple Seeded Lace Crochet Placemat
- Seed Stitch Crochet Placemat Pattern
- Crochet Rectangle Placemat
- Puff Stitch Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster Set
- A Bullion Stitch Crochet Lace Placemat Pattern
Blossom Stitch Crochet Lace Placemat Pattern
- Yarn: Lily Sugar 'n Cream – Cone (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 400g/14oz; 616 meters/674yds) Color: Potpourri Ombre, 1 cone
- Crochet Hook: H 5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Finished Size: 18" by 13"
- Gauge: 14 sts/chs = 4"
Special Stitch Instructions
- V-St: (dc, ch 1, dc) in the designated chain or space.
- Blossom Stitch Tutorial
- Ch 62 or any multiple of 4 + 2.
- Row 1 (RS): Sc in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, v-st in next ch, sk next ch, sc in next ch; rep from * across. Turn. [15 V-sts]
- Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch-1 sp), (sc, ch 1) in first v-st, *(dc, ch 1) in next sc, (sc, ch 1) in next v-st; rep from * across to last sc, dc in last sc. Turn. [30 ch-1 sps]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, *v-st in next sc, sc in next dc; rep from * across. Turn. [15 V-sts]
- Rows 4-29: Rep rows 2-3.
- Rnds 1-2: Sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner. Join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off at the last round.
This cup sleeve crochet pattern is worked up in a simple lace pattern. The crochet cup cozy fits a large take-out cup.
This crochet cross-stitch baby blanket works up super easy, and can be adjusted to any size that you need.
The twisted crochet ear warmer is given in one size, but can be adjusted to any size needed in a multiple of two for the starting chains
This crochet lapghan is easy and mindless to crochet. I worked mine in a solid color, but the stitch pattern is easy to work in stripes as well.
Not only is this crochet cup cozy pattern the perfect gift idea, but it also works up quick and easy with only a small amount of yarn.
This crochet dishcloth pattern is easy to crochet to any size you need. It features a nice texture on both sides, making it great for gifting to friends and family.