The blossom stitch hooded cowl scarf crochet pattern is the perfect addition to your winter wardrobe. It is given in a small size for adults, but you can easily adjust both the width and length as needed. Thus, you can use this pattern to whip up a small cowl for a toddler or to make an oversized cowl for adults.
Depending on how long you make it, you can wear it as a scarf or as a cozy neck cowl over a big winter jacket. Another option is to wear it over the head as a hooded cowl. I made my cowl rather wide because I plan on wearing it as a hood. If you want to just wear it as a regular cowl or scarf, then you can reduce the width if you like.
It’s great by itself or as an extra shield over an ear warmer too. Either way, it’s a great alternative to a hat during the cold weather that the winter months bring.
The Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern consists of a v-stitch mixed in with single crochets, double crochets and chain 1 spaces. It is called the blossom stitch, and is easy and mindless to work on once you get the pattern going.
It’s a bit of an open stitch, but the yarn and hook combination tends to pull the stitches together somewhat so you still have a cozy cowl.
The Finished Size
The finished cowl is shown here on an adult small mannequin without any hair, so it looks a bit roomier than what it actually is. It’s more of an XS-adult/teen/tween size if you’re going to wear it as a hooded cowl. It’s nice and cozy around my neck to keep the drafts out, but if you don’t like things close to your neck then you will want to increase anywhere from 20 to 60 sts, depending on your size and how loose you like your cowls.
As for the yarn, I used a worsted weight with a 6 mm crochet hook. You can substitute basically any yarn that you like and make adjustments to your starting chains as needed.
Other Patterns to Try
- Any Size Scrap Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Quick and Easy Crochet Infinity Cowl Pattern
- Striped Hooded Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Charisma Chunky Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern
Blossom Stitch Hooded Cowl Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Lion Brand Yarns – Pound Of Love (Medium, #4; 100% Acrylic; 1020yds/932m; 16oz./454g) Color: Oxford Grey, 1 ball
- Hook Size: J 6.00mm
- Gauge: (V-st, ch 1) x 4 = 4.5"
- Finished Size: Laying flat it measures 28" long by 11" wide.
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Dc = Double Crochet
- Fsc = Foundation Single Crochet
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- V-St = V Stitch
Special Stitch Instructions
- V-St: (dc, ch 1, dc) in designated chain or space.
- Rnd 1: Fsc 200, or any multiple of 4, join with sl st in first st being careful not to twist.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, *sk next st, V-St in next st, sk next st**, sc in next st; rep from * around ending last rep at **; join with sl st in first sc. [50 V-sts and 50 sc]
- Rnd 3: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch-1 sp), *(sc, ch 1) in v-st**, (dc, ch 1) in next sc; rep from * around ending last rep at **; join with sl st in first dc. [100 sts and 100 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, *V-st in next sc**, sc in next dc; rep from * around ending last rep at **; join with sl st in first sc. [50 V-sts and 50 sc]
- Rnds 5-29: Rep rnds 3 and 4 until you have reached a desired width making sure to end with rnd 3.
- Rnd 30: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.