This crochet cowl pattern was originally designed to be a stashbuster. I had a bunch of Caron Simply Soft and needed to get rid of it, and this was the end result. With that said, I like it just as much if worked up in a single color as well.
This pattern provides you with a stitch multiple, so you can easily adjust this to any size that you need from toddler to adult large.
I’ve given the stitch multiple for a cozy double wrap around the neck. For a single wrap you might want to try making this with half the chains as given.
Use any colors or any sequence that you want. But for those interested in making it exactly as this, I’ve given my color sequence below.
Another bonus of this crochet cowl is that it features a beautiful textured stitch pattern, which I find shows up a bit more in a solid color.
I’ve also done up a hat pattern which can be found here: Any Size Hat.
Other Patterns to Try
- Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Striped Hooded Cowl
- Blossom Stitch Hooded Cowl Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Charisma Chunky Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Popcorn Infinity Cowl
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Any Size Scrap Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Yarn: Caron Simply Soft (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% acrylic; 6 oz/170.1g; 315yds/288m) 2 balls.
- Hook Size: I/9-5.50mm or any hook suitable for yarn.
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: Measures 4" over 14 hdc sts and 10 rounds.
- Finished Size: Measures 7.5" high and 26" long.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Bead St: Insert hk into indicated st, yo and pull through, (yo and pull through one lp on hk) twice, yo and pull through both lps on hk. When you work into the next stitch make sure the bobble is facing the right side.
- This cowl is long enough for a double wrap. For a cozy neck cowl you could try with about half the starting chains.
- Crochet this cowl in one or more colors. Do any striped design you like, or follow the one as given.
- To Change Color: Complete the round as normal up until the join; drop the old color, pick up the new color and pull through to join the round with the new color.
- Carry the unused colors up at each round.
- With Black, ch 180 (or any multiple of 2 to get circumference needed), join with sl st in first ch being careful not to twist chs.
- Rnd 1: Working into back bumps, ch 1, sc in same ch as join and into each ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [180 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, blsc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in both lps of first blsc. [180 sts]
- Rnd 3: With Green and working into both lps, ch 1, work bead st in same st as join, sc in next st, *bead st in next st, sc in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first bead st. [180 sts]
- Rnd 4: With Black and working in both lps, ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [180 sts]
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, blsc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in both lps of first sc. [180 sts]
- Rnd 6: Working into both lps, sl st into next st, ch 1, hdc in same st, hdc in same st as where join was made, *sk next st, hdc in next st, hdc in skipped st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first hdc. [180 sts]
- Rnd 7: With Tan, rep Rnd 6.
- Rnds 8-9: With Pink, rep Rnd 6.
- Rnd 10: With Tan, rep Rnd 6.
- Rnd 11: With Black, rep Rnd 6.
- Rnd 12: With Green, rep Rnd 6.
- Rnd 13: With Black, rep Rnd 6.
- Rnd 14: With Tan, Rep rnd 6.
- Rnds 15-16: With Pink, Rep rnd 6.
- Rnd 17: With Tan, Rep rnd 6.
- Rnd 18: With Black, Rep rnd 6.
- Rnd 19: With Black, Rep rnd 4.
- Rnds 20-23: Rep Rnds 2-5. Fasten Off at last Rnd.