Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern
Make this easy crochet cowl pattern in any size you want from child to adult. The cowl is crocheted in two colors for a nice contrast along the textured rounds, but feel free to use one or as many colors as you like. It’s a very easy and mindless pattern, but as you can see, it is elegant enough to wear with any of your favorite outfits.
And you can wear it long like a scarf or cozy around the neck as you like. With the snowy winter weather here, it’s perfect for a jacket, but in the spring and fall weather, you could wear it over a long-sleeved shirt on cooler days. The way it is shown below goes great under a winter coat to keep the drafts from coming in at the top.
This pattern uses the basic stitches only including the single, double and triple crochets. It is ideal for those who have mastered the basics of crochet, as this pattern requires that you are comfortable with working two stitches into one, and then skipping a stitch to maintain your stitch count.
For this cowl crochet pattern I used Patons Canadiana yarn. It is a soft medium worsted weight acrylic yarn. However, you can easily substitute with anything you might have in your yarn closet. Personally I would recommend Vanna’s Choice or Caron Simply Soft if you don’t have Patons. With that said, Red Heart Super Saver or Bernat Super Value are two economic yarns that are super awesome too for making cowls.
Other Patterns to Try:
- Quick and Easy Crochet Infinity Cowl Pattern
- Chains and Ribs Crochet Chunky Cowl
- Striped Hooded Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Yin and Yang Infinity Cowl
- Any Size Scrap Crochet Cowl Pattern
Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Yarn: Patons Canadiana (Worsted Weight (#4) – 100% acrylic, 100g /3.5oz) – 2 balls – CA = Dark Green Tea, CB = Cherished Green
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 14 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 46" by 5.25".
- CA = Color A – Dark Green Tea
- CB = Color B – Cherished Green
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Dc = Double Crochet
- Rep = Repeat
- Sk = Skip
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Tr = Triple Crochet
- Work instructions within parenthesis into one stitch as directed.
- Carry unused yarn up at each round.
- With CA, Ch 160 (or any multiple of 2 for desired circumference), join with sl st to first ch being careful not to twist.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, working into back bumps, sc in first ch and into each ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [160 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, tr) into same st as join, *sk next st, (sc, tr) into next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. [160 sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [160 sts]
- Rnd 4: With CB, Ch 1, (sc, dc) into same st as join, *sk next st, (sc, dc) into next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. [160 sts]
- Rnds 5-8: Rep Rnd 4.
- Rnd 9: With CA, Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [160 sts]
- Rnd 10: Rep Rnd 2 with CA.
- Rnd 11: Rep Rnd 3 with CA.
- Rnds 12-16: Rep Rnd 4.
- Rnd 17: Rep Rnd 9.
- Rnd 18: Rep Rnd 2 with CA.
- Rnd 19: Rep Rnd 3 with CA. Fasten Off.