This ribbed crochet cowl pattern works up quick and easy, and makes for the perfect gift idea for anyone who living in a cold climate. The Fallin’ Back Crochet Fall Hat Pattern is also available, and is a great addition to the cowl.
I crocheted mine in fall colors, but any colors would look great in this. I think Christmas colors would look very festive! It looks great on both sides so you could have lots of fun with color and texture if you want.
The Stitch Pattern
This crochet cowl features a ribbed texture that is obtained with the half double crochet and the back post double crochet. It is a two-round repeat with one round worked in half doubles, and the next round is worked around the back posts to give you that ribbed effect.
The Finished Size
The finished size is about 49 inches in circumference by 6.5 inches wide. But there is no stitch multiple, so you can easily increase or decrease this to any size you want! Thus, it’s a great go-to pattern for both children and adults!
I used Vanna’s Choice yarn with an I crochet hook. Any worsted weight yarn will work, however. The worsted yarn makes for a nice solid cowl for the cold winter or the Canadian fall weather that we get sometimes.
You could also try this with a thinner yarn if you’re looking for elegance. Or, choose a thicker yarn for even more bold ribs! Either way, this cowl is perfect to go with just about any winter coat!
Other Patterns to Try
- Clustered V-Stitch Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Crochet Cowl Scarf Pattern
- Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern
- Cross-Over Long DC Cowl
- Popcorn Infinity Cowl
Fallin’ Back Ribbed Crochet Cowl
- Yarn: Vanna's Choice (#4 medium worsted weight), Two 3.5oz balls, one of each color.
- Crochet Hook: I/9-5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 2" over 6 sts.
- Finished Size: Laying flat it measures approximately 24.5" by 6.5"
- Join new color in joining sl st of each rnd.
- Carry yarn up at each round.
- With CA, Ch 150, join with sl st being careful not to twist chs.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1 (does not count as st, now and throughout), hdc in same ch as join and into each ch around; With CB, join with sl st. (150 sts)
- Rnd 2: With CB, Ch 1, bphdc in same st as join and into each st around; with CA, join with sl st in first bphdc.
- Rnd 3: With CA, Ch 1, hdc in same st as join and into each st around; With CB, join with sl st in first hdc.
- Rnds 4-18: Rep rnds 2 & 3 ending with rnd 2.
- Rnd 19: With CA, ch 1, sc same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. FO.