This crochet twist ear warmer pattern is the perfect alternative to a hat. It is all you need to keep your ears warm in the fall and spring. And in the cold winter weather, you can easily wear it underneath the hood of a jacket.
A crochet ear warmer such as this doesn’t require much yarn and works up super quick. Plus, it has a twist at the front, which gives it an almost bow-like look, which is sure to look great with any outfit. Thus, it’s the perfect last-minute gift idea for anyone during the cold seasons.
The finished size is 22″ in circumference by 3.5″ wide. It is designed to fit XL, but it can easily be adjusted to any size you need by adjusting your starting chains in any multiple of 2.
How long should a crochet ear warmer be? Generally speaking a crocheted ear warmer should be about 1-3 inches shorter than the head circumference. Personal preference is a good place to start, but, the stitch pattern and the yarn used should also be considered as some will give you more stretch than others.
If you have a good amount of stretch you can get away with a shorter band and vice versa.
How wide should a ear warmer be? The general rule is to make it wide enough so that it covers the ears nicely. So for a baby, it’s about 2 inches, for children about 3-4, and for adults between 3.5 to 5 inches wide.
This crochet ear warmer size chart can help to take some of the guesswork out.
For this crochet twisted ear warmer, I chose to use Vanna’s Choice, a medium worsted weight yarn. I love this yarn for ear warmers because it gives me a nice stretchy material! The yarn works well with a 6 mm crochet hook.
The Stitch Pattern
The seed stitch gives you a beautiful texture on both sides of the fabric. It is worked with the single crochet and double crochet worked together into one stitch. Then to keep things even, the next stitch is skipped.
After the first row of seed stitches, the seed stitch is worked into the single crochets of the previous seed stitch below. All the double crochet stitches are skipped throughout the pattern.
It is easy and mindless to work on.
How Do You Sew A Twisted Headband Together?
Step 1. To sew the twist, fold the band lengthwise with the Wrong Sides facing the outside and the Right Sides together.
Step 2. Layer the band as shown so that the edges overlap from the center. You can place your stitch markers in the middle if you like. I just eyeballed it, because you can adjust it in Step 5 as needed.
Step 3. Then fold one end over the other as shown below.
Step 4. Next, fold the second end over so that the ends interlock.
Step. 5. You should have four layers. Make adjustments as needed to make sure everything is centered evenly.
Step 6. With your tail end of the yarn, and using a tapestry needle, sew across making sure to go through all four layers.
Step 7. Turn right side out to hide the seam. Easy Peasy!!!
See More Crochet Ear Warmers
- Charisma Chunky Crochet Ear Warmer
- Easy Popcorn Womens Ear Warmer Headband
- Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern for Beginners
- Simple Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
- ESC Striped Crochet Earwarmers
Seed Stitch Crochet Twist Ear Warmer
- Yarn: Vanna's Choice (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% acrylic; 3.5oz/100g; 170 yds/156 m)
- Crochet Hook: J – 6mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 12 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 22" circumference by 3.5" wide.
- Ch 70, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: Working into back bumps, sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [69 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [69 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in first st, *sk next st, (sc, dc) in next st; rep from * across to last 2 sts; sk next st, sc in last st. Turn. [69 sts]
- Rows 4-9: Rep row 3.
- Rows 10-11: Rep Row 2. Fasten off, leaving a 10" tail for sewing.
- To sew the twist, fold the band lengthwise with the Right Sides facing together. Then fold the ends over so they interlock and sew together through all four layers.