Brighten your day with this cute little flower petals crochet hair scrunchie. It works up quick, and is perfect for yourself or your little girl. I worked my petals all in one color, but if you have the patience to weave in a bunch of ends, you could crochet them in different colors using scrap yarn for a colorful summer hair scrunchie. Or, use a variegated yarn!
The pattern is a copycat off this teething toy with a few changes; I didn’t work this into the back bumps, and instead of skipping three stitches made in Round 1, I only skipped two. For a scrunchie you want to allow for a nice stretch so you can wrap it around the hair at least two times.
It is shown here wrapped once around two fingers, and I love how the ends curl over a bit. It’s really cute, and I’m sure any little girl will enjoy wearing this in her hair.
About the Yarn
For this scrunchie, I used a soft and fine yarn, which allowed me to get lots of stitches around the elastic for a nice full look. You could use a thicker yarn, but I’m not sure how much stretch you would get out of it.
Premier Cotton Fair, which I used, has a natural stretch to it, making it great for hair accessories.
The Hair Elastic
Hair elastics come in many different sizes, depending on the brand. For a comfortable fit, choose one that is durable and has a lot of stretch in it.
With that said, choose any size hair elastic that you want, because you can easily adjust the amount of stitches that you work around it as long as you end up with a multiple of three. Just make sure to have a nice full amount to allow for a nice stretch.
Another use for this pattern would be to crochet around a plastic ring for a napkin ring. I think it would be cute, and maybe even a conversation starter at your next dinner party.
Other Patterns to Try
- Crochet Hair Scrunchie
- Curly Cue Hair Scrunchie
- Beaded Loopy Hair Scrunchie
- Crochet Beaded Hair Scrunchie
- Chain Loops Hair Scrunchie Pattern
Flower Petals Crochet Hair Scrunchie
- Yarn: Cotton Fair by Premier Yarns (Fine (#2) – 52% Cotton, 48% Acrylic, 317yds/290m – 3.5oz./100g)
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: A Hair Elastic, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Row 1: Sc 60 sts around hair elastic (or any multiple of 3 to get the fullness that you want); join with sl st in first. [60 sts]
- Row 2: *Ch 7, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc into next ch, hdc in next 2 chs, dc in next 2 chs, skip next 2 sts made around hair elastic, sl st in next st; repeat from * around. Fasten Off. [20 Points]