This textured baby blanket crochet pattern uses a version of the slanted puff stitch. The stitch creates a beautiful texture on both sides of the fabric. Best of all, you can work this up in either boy or girl colors.
I did mine in a single color throughout, but you could just as easy use up your scraps and work this up in pretty stripes if you like.
The one thing with this blanket is that I found it took forever to crochet up. The puff stitch is a given to take forever, but in addition to that, this is worked with slip stitches and chains. But with that said, it’s a beautiful textured stitch pattern that you’ll enjoy showing off. (sorry for the poor images, I couldn’t get the pink to show up on camera.)
Textured Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern with the Slanted Puff Stitch
Below the written pattern is a video and a photo tutorial on how to work the stitch.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (Light, #3; 100% acrylic; 300g/10.5oz) Color: Baby Pink, 1 ball.
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 4 puff sts in pattern = 3″
- Finished Size: 33 by 33″.
Puff St = Puff Stitch
Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
Hdc = Half Double Crochet
Hk = Hook
Lp/Lps = Loop/Loops
Rep = Repeat
Sc = Single Crochet
Sk = Skip
Sl St = Slip Stitch
Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
YO = Yarn Over
Special Stitch Instructions:
Puff St: (Yo, insert hk in sp indicated, yo and pull through) 2 times, 5 lps on hk, yo and pull through all 5 lps.
If you are new to crochet you may want to use stitch markers to mark the chain two made in the same space as the puff stitch.
Loosely ch 134, or any multiple of 3 plus 2.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hk and into each ch across. Turn. [133 sts]
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sts, ch 1, sk next st, sc in next st, *ch 2, sk next 2 sts, sc in next st; rep from * across to last 3 sts, ch 1, sk next st, sc in last 2 sts. Turn. [42 ch-2 sps and 2 ch-1 sps]
Row 3: Ch 1, hdc in first 2 sts, ch 1, sk first ch-1 sp, *(sl st, ch 2, puff st, ch 1) into next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp across to last ch-1 sp, sk ch-1 sp, hdc in last 2 sts. Turn. [42 puff sts]
Rows 4-96: Rep row 3.
Row 97: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sts, sc in ch-1, sc in top of next puff st, 3 sc in next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp across to lasts ch-1 sp; sc into ch-1, sc into last 2 sts; [133 sts]
Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Slanted Puff Stitch Tutorial
- The image below shows the first two rows done as per pattern above. You can see the chain one spaces at the beginning and end of rows. These are marked off in the yellow stitch markers, and are skipped throughout the pattern. The chain two spaces in the middle are marked off with the blue stitch markers.To begin the row: Ch 1, 2 hdc in first 2 sts, ch 1.
- Skip the ch-1 sp and sl st in first ch-2 sp.
- Ch 2.
- Then work the puff stitch into same chain.
- Ch 1. And if you are new to crochet, mark the ch-2 made just before the puff stitch to make it easier for the next row.
- Then repeat the steps above: (sl st, ch 2, puff st, ch 1) into next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp across to ch-1 sp; sk ch-1 sp, hdc in last 2 sts.
- The next row is the same, except now you are working into the ch-2 sps made just before the puff stitches. Ch 1, hdc in first 2 sts, ch 1.
- Skip the first ch-1, sl st into next ch-2 sp.
- Ch 2.
- Work puff st into same ch-2 sp, ch 1.
- And again, repeat that across: (sl st, ch 2, puff st, ch 1) into next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp across to ch-1 sp; sk ch-1 sp, hdc in last 2 sts.