Whether you’re looking for something pretty to gift at your next baby shower, or whether you just need a cozy blankie to take your baby or toddler out on spring walks, this crochet baby blanket pattern is perfect for the occasions. If making this for a baby shower, it’ll be the perfect match for this newsboy hat, which also has the same stitch pattern.
I used a variegated boyish colored yarn to show that you can make this for both genders. A solid white would make for a lovely christening blanket. Or, a solid pink or light purple would make this pretty for a baby girl.
The Stitch Pattern
The cross-over long double crochet is a basic cable stitch. It’s very easy to make, simply by skipping a stitch and then backtracking and working the double crochet into the skipped stitch.
The texture is the same on both sides, making this an ideal blanket for gifting to friends and family!
Another bonus of this stitch is that it’s nice and cozy. It makes this crochet blanket perfect for the winter. It’ll be great for car rides or nap time! And because of the cushiony textures, you could also use this as a cozy floor blanket during playtime!
The finished size of this only measures 27 inches square. However, a stitch multiple is provided so you can adjust the size of this as needed. Here is a blanket sizing chart to give you an idea on the dimensions you may need.
Bernat Baby Blanket is a soft baby yarn made with 100% acrlic. It is an economic yarn and is available in many colors ranging from variegated colors to solid colors as well.
With that said, you can make this with any yarn and hook size that you have on hand. A DK (#3) yarn is a great option if you don’t want to use baby yarn, as that will give you about the same gauge and texture.
Other Patterns to Try
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Cross-Over Long DC Crochet Baby Blanket
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (Light, #3; 100% acrylic; 280g/9.8oz; 1004yds/918m) Color: Cool Blue, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 16 sts = 3.5".
- Finished Size: 27" wide by 27"
- Ch 123, or any multiple of 4 + 3.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and into each ch across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, hdc in first st, *sk next st, hdc in next 3 sts, dc in skipped st; rep from * across to last st; hdc in last st. Turn. [122 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first st and into each st across. Turn. [122 sts]
- Rows 4-89: Rep rows 2 and 3.
- Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc in each corner. Join with a slip stitch in first sc. Fasten Off.