Here is the slanted puff stitch crochet ear warmer pattern. It’s a nice open stitch to give you just the right amount of warmth in cooler fall weather. It’s quick and easy to whip up, making it perfect for that last-minute gift that you need to make.
The thick yarn combined with the puff stitch gives this warmer a nice and luxurious texture. It’s all you need for the cool fall or spring weather. And in the winter when it gets extremely cold, you can wear this under the hood of your winter jacket.
It’s a great stashbuster pattern as you don’t need much yarn to complete this. And speaking of cleaning up your stash, you can add your favorite applique, anything from a flower to a heart, or even a fun bow to make this your very own.
The Stitches Used to Make This Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
The stitches used to make this fall ear warmer are the single crochet stitches, chain spaces and the puff stitch! The puff stitch is slanted, and along with the chains, gives it a beautiful lace and texture that you’ll enjoy wearing!
To make this you’ll need to be comfortable with making the puff stitch and working multiple stitches into one.
All the rounds are joined with a slip stitch and worked from the right side to give you a nice clean look of the stitches.
Ear Warmer Headband Size
The finished size is for an adult small/medium, with a measurement of 20 inches in circumference by 3.75 inches wide. The gauge does not really matter for the circumference as it is easy to adjust in a multiple of three to fit sizes from child to adult.
The width on the other hand is not that easy to adjust, but if you find that it’s to wide, you can use a thinner yarn if you like. For toddlers and children you’ll want to have a width of 3″ to 3.5 inches.
You can also use this as a headband pattern, simply by doing only one repeat of the rounds.
I used a bulky weight yarn, Charisma, by Loops and Threads. It is super soft, strong and helps to really bring out the textures of the puff stitch. You only need one skein of yarn and an 8 mm crochet hook to complete this beauty.
The Charisma is an acrylic yarn, which makes it idea for the cooler weather. But if want to make this for the summer to wear as a headband, you could use a cotton blend. Preferably something that provides a bit of stretch to make it comfortable for wearing.
You could try also working this in a worsted weight yarn or even a DK, but with one or two additional repeats of the stitch pattern to get to a similar width.
Other Crochet Ear Warmer Patterns to Check Out:
- Charisma Crochet Ear Warmer
- Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern for Beginners
- Bouncy Bubbly Ear Warmer Headband
- Simple Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
- Criss Cross Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern
Purchase Your Printable PDF
Slanted Puffs Ear Warmer Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Loops and Threads Charisma (Bulky Weight, #5; 100% Acrylic; 109 yds/3.5; 100m/100g) Color: Jam, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: 8.00mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 4 sts = 9".
- Finished Size: Laid flat it measures 10" across by 3.75" wide.
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Hk = Hook
- Lp/Lps = Loop/Loops
- Puff St = Puff Stitch
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- YO = Yarn Over
Special Stitch Instructions
- Puff Stitch (Puff st): [Yo, insert hk into st, yo and pull through] 3 times (7 lps on hk), yo and pull through all 7 lps. Ch 1 to close.
- Ch 48 (or any multiple of 3 to get the circumference you need), join with sl st in first ch being careful not to twist.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, working into back bumps, sc in same ch as join and into each ch around; join with sl st in first sc. [48 sts]
- Alternatively, you can foundation single crochet 48; join and proceed with Rnd 2.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, ch 3, puff st) in same st as join, *sk next 2 sts, (sc, ch 3, puff st) in next st; rep from * around to last 2 sts; sk last 2 sts; join with sl st in first sc. [16 ch-3 sps]
- Rnd 3: Sl st into ch-3 sp, ch 1, (sc, ch 2) into same ch-3 sp and into each ch-3 sp around; join with sl st in first sc. [16 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, (sc, ch 3, puff st) in same sc as join, *sk next 2 chs, (sc, ch 3, puff st) in next sc; rep from * around to last 2 chs; sk last 2 chs; join with sl st in first sc. [16 ch-3 sps]
- Rnds 5: Rep rnd 3.
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, sc in the same st as join and into each st and ch around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.