This striped baby hat pattern is given to fit a baby. However, it is easy to crochet to any size you want from newborn to adult. It features a nice striped design that can be crocheted in two or more colors. Or, choose a single color to do the entire hat. Also, I’ve provided a second option for the color design at the end.
It’s a great design for both men and women, thus making it a great pattern for the entire family.
The pom pom is optional, but it adds a nice touch to any hat whether for child or adult. I made mine with a single color, but choose as many colors as you like for a super cool pom pom design. Here is a quick tutorial on how to make a pom pom.
Other Patterns to Check Out
- Bulky Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Hat Pattern
- Simple Baby Hat
- Puff Stitch Baby Beanie
- Crochet Pom Pom Beanie
- Crochet Baby Boy Hats Free Pattern Roundup
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Striped Baby Hat
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (Light, #3; 100% acrylic; 300g/10.5oz) 2 colors. 1 ball each. (You only need a small amount of each color)
- Crochet Hook: G/4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Stitch Markers, Yarn Needle.
- Ribbing gauge: 1" across 5 sts and 1.5" over 7 ribbing rows.
- Pattern gauge: 2" across 8 sts and over pattern rounds 3-9.
- Circumference over body is 14". Ribbing is about an inch shorter.
- Length is 7" from top to bottom.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Bead St: Insert hk into indicated st, yo and pull through, (yo and pull through one lp on hk) twice, yo and pull through both lps on hk. When you work into the next stitch make sure the bobble is facing the right side.
- Carry the yarn up until you are finished with it.
- The hat is worked in one piece starting with the bottom ribbing. The body is crocheted right onto the bottom ribbing. The bottom ribbing rows are worked lengthwise, whereas the body is worked in rounds.
- If you need to make the hat wider, simply increase the number of ribbing rows in multiples of two. If you need it longer do more repeats of rounds 2-5.
- Row 1: With CA, ch 7, sc in second ch from hk and in next 5 chs. Turn. [6 sts]
- Rows 2-50: Working in bls only, ch 1, sc in each sc across. Turn. [6 sts] Continue with this row until you have reached a desired circumference.
- Ch 1 and join the ribbing rows by slip stitching the last row to the free lps of starting chs.
Working in the Round
- Rnd 1: Continue with CA, ch 1, sc 50 sts evenly around; join with sl st to first sc. [50 sts] Do Not Turn, but begin working in rnds.
- Rnd 2: With CA, Ch 1, bead st in same st as join, sc in next st, *work bead st in next st, sc in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st to first bead st. [50 sts]
- Rnd 3: With CB, ch 1, sc in same st as join and in each st around; join with sl st to first sc. [50 sts]
- Rnd 4: Ch 2 (does not count as st), dc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first dc. [50 sts]
- Rnd 5: Same as rnd 3.
- Rnds 6-21: Repeat Rnds 2-5 another 4 times.
- Rnd 22: Ch 1, sc2tog around. [25 sts] FO leaving a long enough tail to weave into the last round.
Finishing the Hat
- Weave the tail end of the yarn into the last rnd made. Pull as tight as you can and secure the yarn. Make a pompom and attach it at the top center.
- To work this color design work all your stitches the same color as the ribbing, changing color only for the rounds with the bead stitches.