This striped baby hat pattern is given to fit a baby. However, it is easy to crochet to any size you want from newborn to adult, thus making it a great family hat for both genders.
It features a nice striped design that can be crocheted in two or more colors. Or, choose a single color to do the entire hat. You also have the option to work the bobbles in the same color as the ribbing. Or, make them a different color and work the basic stitches the same as the ribbing.
This baby hat crochet pattern a great design for babies, including both baby boys and baby girls. It’s the perfect hat for baby shower gifts to go with these striped baby leg warmers, or alongside any baby blanket.
If you’re making this for a baby boy, you might also be interested in this roundup of hats for baby boys.
How It’s Made
The crochet hat pattern is started at the brim with the ribbing rows, which are created simply by working into the back loops. This tutorial goes into full detail of how to make a crochet ribbing.
As for the body of the hat, it is worked with the single crochet and double crochet stitches along with the bead stitch. The bead stitch is an extended version of the single crochet to give you a nice bobble on the front of your fabric. This tutorial shows how to make the bead stitch that is used here.
The pom pom is optional, but it adds a nice touch to any hat whether for a child or adult. I made mine with a single color, but choose as many colors as you like for a super cool pom pom design. Here is a quick tutorial on how to make a pom pom.
Although given for a baby size, this crochet baby hat can easily be increased for any size that you need. Simply make your ribbing in any multiple of two to fit snug around the head, and then follow the rest of the pattern as instructed to the height that you need. Use this beanie sizes chart as a reference if you’re not sure on measurements for other sizes.
If you’re making this for a baby I’d recommend you stick with a baby yarn. I used two colors of Bernat Baby Sport, which is a #3 baby yarn. It works well with a 4 mm crochet hook.
But, if you’re making this for kids or adults, then you can go with a soft DK or a worsted weight yarn. Vanna’s Choice is an ideal yarn if you plan on using a worsted weight.
More Crochet Baby Hat Patterns
- Bulky Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Hat Pattern
- Simple Baby Hat
- Puff Stitch Baby Beanie
- Crochet Pom Pom Beanie
- Crochet Baby Boy Hats Free Pattern Roundup
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Striped Baby Hat
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Sport (Light, #3; 100% acrylic; 300g/10.5oz) 2 colors. 1 ball each. (You only need a small amount of each color)
- Crochet Hook: G/4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Stitch Markers, Yarn Needle.
- Ribbing gauge: 1" across 5 sts and 1.5" over 7 ribbing rows.
- Pattern gauge: 2" across 8 sts and over pattern rounds 3-9.
- Circumference over body is 14". Ribbing is about an inch shorter.
- Length is 7" from top to bottom.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Bead St: Insert hk into indicated st, yo and pull through, (yo and pull through one lp on hk) twice, yo and pull through both lps on hk. When you work into the next stitch make sure the bobble is facing the right side.
- Carry the yarn up until you are finished with it.
- The hat is worked in one piece starting with the bottom ribbing. The body is crocheted right onto the bottom ribbing. The bottom ribbing rows are worked lengthwise, whereas the body is worked in rounds.
- If you need to make the hat wider, simply increase the number of ribbing rows in multiples of two. If you need it longer do more repeats of rounds 2-5.
- Row 1: With CA, ch 7, sc in second ch from hk and in next 5 chs. Turn. [6 sts]
- Rows 2-50: Working in bls only, ch 1, sc in each sc across. Turn. [6 sts] Continue with this row until you have reached a desired circumference.
- Ch 1 and join the ribbing rows by slip stitching the last row to the free lps of starting chs.
Working in the Round
- Rnd 1: Continue with CA, ch 1, sc 50 sts evenly around; join with sl st to first sc. [50 sts] Do Not Turn, but begin working in rnds.
- Rnd 2: With CA, Ch 1, bead st in same st as join, sc in next st, *work bead st in next st, sc in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st to first bead st. [50 sts]
- Rnd 3: With CB, ch 1, sc in same st as join and in each st around; join with sl st to first sc. [50 sts]
- Rnd 4: Ch 2 (does not count as st), dc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first dc. [50 sts]
- Rnd 5: Same as rnd 3.
- Rnds 6-21: Repeat Rnds 2-5 another 4 times.
- Rnd 22: Ch 1, sc2tog around. [25 sts] FO leaving a long enough tail to weave into the last round.
Finishing the Hat
- Weave the tail end of the yarn into the last rnd made. Pull as tight as you can and secure the yarn. Make a pompom and attach it at the top center.
- To work this color design work all your stitches the same color as the ribbing, changing color only for the rounds with the bead stitches.