This crochet shell stitch baby hat pattern is given in one size to fit a newborn. It is worked up in a bulky yarn, so it works up quick and easy, and is nice and cozy as well.
The shell stitch used here is also called a double v-stitch. It’s a bit lacy, but still solid enough to provide warmth for the newborns in cool transitional weather.
For something simpler, you could try the single crochet beanie, which can easily be sized down to fit a baby as well. Or, you could try the crochet pom pom beanie and my first hat, both of which are given in baby sizes.
Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Hat Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Softee Baby Chunky (Bulky, #5; 100% Acrylic; 5oz/140g; 155yds/142m) Color: Creamsicle Orangette, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: 8mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle
- Gauge: Approximately 2.75" over first 2 Rnds.
- Finished Size: To fit newborn. 7" across by 5" high when laying flat.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Shell: (2 hdc, ch 1, 2 hdc) in ch 1 space.
- Rnd 1: Work 8 hdc into a magic ring; join with sl st in first sc. [8 hdc]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (hdc, ch 1, hdc) in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first hdc. [8 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 3: Sl st into ch-1 sp, ch 1, shell in same sp and into each ch-1 sp around; join with sl st in first hdc. [8 shells and ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 4: Sl st into next st and into ch-1 sp, ch 1, shell in same sp and into each ch-1 sp around; join with sl st in first hdc. [8 shells and ch-1 sps]
- Rnds 5-8: Repeat Rnd 4.
- Rnd 9: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch-1 around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off. [40 sts]