Bulky Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Hat Pattern
This crochet shell stitch baby hat pattern is given in one size to fit a newborn. It is worked up in a bulky yarn, so it works up quick and easy, and is nice and cozy as well.
The shell stitch used here is also called a double v-stitch. It’s a bit lacy, but still solid enough to provide warmth for the newborns in cool transitional weather.
For something simpler, you could try the single crochet beanie, which can easily be sized down to fit a baby as well. Or, you could try the crochet pom pom beanie and my first hat, both of which are given in baby sizes.
Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Hat Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Softee Baby Chunky (Bulky, #5; 100% Acrylic; 5oz/140g; 155yds/142m) Color: Creamsicle Orangette, 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: 8mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle
- Gauge: Approximately 2.75" over first 2 Rnds.
- Finished Size: To fit newborn. 7" across by 5" high when laying flat.
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Hdc = Half Double Crochet
- Rnd/Rnds = Round/Rounds
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
Special Stitch Instructions
- Shell: (2 hdc, ch 1, 2 hdc) in ch 1 space.
- Rnd 1: Work 8 hdc into a magic ring; join with sl st in first sc. [8 hdc]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (hdc, ch 1, hdc) in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first hdc. [8 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 3: Sl st into ch-1 sp, ch 1, shell in same sp and into each ch-1 sp around; join with sl st in first hdc. [8 shells and ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 4: Sl st into next st and into ch-1 sp, ch 1, shell in same sp and into each ch-1 sp around; join with sl st in first hdc. [8 shells and ch-1 sps]
- Rnds 5-8: Repeat Rnd 4.
- Rnd 9: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch-1 around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off. [40 sts]
Add a pom-pom and a cute flower applique for some extra cuteness.
how many chains do you begin with to begin?
Start off with 4 chains. The hat is started at the top and worked down. Let me know if you run into any probs.
I can not get this hat to take shape. As soon as I start round 3 using the shell stitch, the hat loses its shape. What am I doing wrong?
Could you be a bit more specific? Rnd 3 increases the crown, but after rnd 3 it should begin to curl up into a hat shape. Let me know and we can go from there. :)
Love this! I have been looking for this pattern for a while. Thank you for sharing. How can I make this larger for a toddler? Also, what would the changes be for using worsted weight yarn?
Cheryl, I’m going to work on it and hopefully have something for you in a few weeks. Thanks so much for your patience.
Round 3: the instructions don’t make sense. When you say shell, is that defined as steps in row 2 “hdc twice in each chain space?”
Shell is defined under Special Stitches: (2 hdc, ch 1, 2 hdc) in ch 1 space.
Thank you so much for sharing this! I am going to have a baby girl in a few months and would love to make this for her. Do you think this would be the right size for a new born? Thanks again! Victoria
Yes it should fit a newborn. :)
I have been looking for a pattern very simerliar to this. My grandmother made one close to this for me and my sister we wore these to church, this was many years ago. I wanted to make this for my granddaughters. I think I can figure out how to do it.