With only three short rounds, this crochet hair scrunchie pattern works up quickly and easily. Plus, with the picots worked in between the shells, you get a pretty and stylish look to complement any outfit.
Whether you have straight, wavy, or even curly hair, crocheted hair scrunchies are a great way to keep your hair looking neat and out of your face. They are great for ponytails, pigtails, and even messy buns.
I used a 6″ circumference scrunchie, but any size will work. There is no stitch multiple as the final round is simply worked into the chain 2 spaces. So simply cover your hair elastic generously with single crochets and then follow the pattern without worrying about stitch multiples.
I used Cotton Fair by Premier, which is a cotton/acrylic blend, but anything similar will work. At the same time, this scrunchie isn’t as big as some of the other scrunchies I’ve made, which means you could probably get away with a slightly thicker yarn if you like big scrunchies.
The Stitch Pattern
The scrunchie pattern is started by working single crochets around a hair elastic until it is nice and full.
Then half doubles and chain-2 spaces to get the ruffled look started. Not only do the chain spaces give you a bit of lace, but they also help to eliminate excess bulk.
For the final round, 2 double crochets, a picot, and another 2 double crochets are worked into each chain 2 space.
Easy, peasy, yet a beauty!
Crochet Hair Scrunchie – Split Shells N Picots
- Yarn: Cotton Fair by Premier Yarns (Fine, #2; 52% Cotton, 48% Acrylic; 317yds/290m; 3.5oz./100g) 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: E 3.50mm
- Other: 1 Goody Hair elastic
- Tools: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Picot: Ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook.
- Rnd 1: Join yarn to elastic with a stsc, sc around the elastic another 59 times; join with sl st in first sc. [60 sc]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (hdc, ch 2) in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first hdc. [60 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 3: Sl st into first sp, ch 2 (does not count as st), (2 dc, picot, 2 dc) in same sp and into each sp around; join with sl st in first dc. Fasten Off.