These crochet baby scratch mitts are not only the perfect way to keep your little ones from scratching up their newborn faces, but they are also nice and cozy for going outside in the cold.
This pattern was designed to go with this
These are designed to fit a newborn. If you’d need something a bit bigger, you might like these baby mittens for a 3-6-month-old.
Crochet Baby Scratch Mitts
- Yarn: Red Heart Baby Hugs – Light #3 – 100% acrylic – 4.5 oz / 127g ball – 2 colors: (CA) Dolphin, (CB) Bluie
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- 6" Soft Cord Elastic
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Laying flat it measures 2.5" across the body and 4" top to bottom.
- CA = Color A
- CB = Color B
- Blhdc = Back Loop Half Double Crochet
- Blhdc2tog = Back Loop Half Double Crochet 2 Together
- Blsc = Back Loop Single Crochet
- Blsc2tog = Back Loop Single Crochet 2 Together
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Join each round in both loops of first stitch made in the round.
- Join new color to previous color after the round is joined. Or, fasten off after color change and start new color with a standing crochet stitch.
- Carry unused yarn up at each round.
- Make 2.
- Row 1: With CA, ch 9, sc in second ch from hook and in next 7 chs. Turn. (8 sts)
- Rows 2-16: Ch 1, blsc in each st across. Turn. (8 sts) Continue with this row until you have reached a desired circumference.
- Ch 1 and join the ribbing rows by slip stitching the last row to the free loops of starting chs.
Working in the Round
- Rnd 1: Continue with CA, ch 1, sc 20 sts evenly around; join with sl st to first sc. (20 sts) Do Not Turn, but begin working in rnds.
- Rnd 2: With CA, ch 1, blhdc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first blhdc. [20 sts]
- Rnd 3: With CB, ch 1, blsc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first blsc. [20 sts]
- Rnds 4-7: Rep Rnds 2 and 3.
- Rnd 8: With CA, ch 1, blhdc2tog around; join with sl st in first blhdc2tog. [10 sts]
- Rnd 9: With CB, ch 1, blsc2tog around; join with sl st in first blsc2tog. [5 sts] Fasten Off.
- Fasten Off CB leaving a 10" tail for weaving in through Rnd 9 and closing off the mitt.
Check out more Free Baby Crochet Patterns on CPB.