With two colors and slightly ribbed, this crochet pom pom beanie is easy to match to any outfit. It works up quick, making it great for baby showers.
It is shown in a boy color-tone, but you can choose any colors and make this for both baby boys and baby girls. Another pattern suitable for both genders is this striped hat. Or, check out this roundup of baby boy hat patterns.
How It’s Made
This baby pom pom hat is started at the brim with the ribbing, then joined and worked in rounds. There is no stitch multiple for the body, so it’s easy to crochet the ribbing to any circumference that you need.
The body of the hat is worked into the back loops only using the single and half double crochet stitches. It is worked in an even pattern until you get to the last two rounds, at which point you decrease to bring the top together and make it easier for sewing.
I attached a pom pom for this beanie, but you can go without as well. The pom pom is easy to make. How To Make a Pom Pom.
I used Red Heart Baby Hugs, a #3 baby yarn. It’s a soft and lightweight yarn, which makes it perfect for the baby’s soft skin. The yarn also offers a lovely stretch once worked up. Another bonus is that it has been tested for harmful substances, so you know it’s safe for your babies. And because you know it’s safe, it’s the perfect yarn for making baby shower gifts.
Other Hat Patterns to Try
- Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Hat Pattern
- Puff Stitch Baby Hat
- Crochet Baby Boy Hats Free Pattern Roundup
- Cross-Over Long DC Free Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern
- Crochet Fall Hats
Crochet Baby Pom Pom Beanie
- Yarn: Red Heart Baby Hugs Light #3 – 100% acrylic – 4.5 oz / 127g ball – 2 colors: (CA) Dolphin, (CB) Bluie
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 3.5" over 16 ribbing rows and 15 sts.
- Finished Size: Laying flat it measures 6" across the body and 6" top to bottom, not counting the pompom. (Newborn – Hat is modeled on a 2-week old.)
- CA = Color A
- CB = Color B
- Blhdc = Back Loop Half Double Crochet
- Blhdc2tog = Back Loop Half Double Crochet 2 Together
- Blsc = Back Loop Single Crochet
- Blsc2tog = Back Loop Single Crochet 2 Together
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Crochet Abbreviations explained in more details.
- Join each round in both loops of first stitch made in the round.
- Join new color to previous color after the round is joined. Or, fasten off after color change and start new color with a standing crochet stitch.
- Carry unused yarn up at each round.
Ribbing – Worked in Rows
- Row 1: With CA, ch 9, sc in second ch from hook and in next 7 chs. Turn. (8 sts)
- Rows 2-50: Ch 1, blsc in each st across. Turn. (8 sts) Continue with this row until you have reached a desired circumference.
- Ch 1 and join the ribbing rows by slip stitching the last row to the free loops of starting chs.
Body of Hat – Worked in the Round
- Rnd 1: Continue with CA, ch 1, sc 50 sts evenly around; join with sl st to first sc. (50 sts) Do Not Turn, but begin working in rnds.
- Rnd 2: With CA, ch 1, blhdc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first blhdc. [50 sts]
- Rnd 3: With CB, ch 1, blsc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first blsc. [50 sts]
- Rnds 4-13: Rep Rnds 2 and 3.
- Rnd 14: With CA, ch 1, blhdc2tog around; join with sl st in first blhdc2tog. [25 sts]
- Rnd 15: With CB, ch 1, blsc in same st as join, blsc2tog around; join with sl st in first blsc2tog. [13 sts] Fasten Off.
- Fasten Off CB leaving a 10" tail for weaving in through Rnd 15 and closing off the hat.
- Make a pompom and attach to the hat as shown.
If you enjoyed this baby hat pattern, you might also enjoy a visit to CPB for even more free crochet baby hats.