This crochet baby beanie is designed to fit a 6 month old baby, but can be adjusted for other sizes as well. It features a pretty puff stitch to give you lots of textures along the side of the crochet beanie.
This crochet beanie is suitable for both baby boys and for baby girls. It works up quick, making it great for baby shower gifts. It is shown here in a solid white, but why not try it in two or more colors to match a variety of outfits.
The Stitch Pattern
This crochet baby hat pattern is started at the crown and worked down. The crown is worked simply with half double crochets. Then for the body, the puff stitch is worked in between rounds of single crochet stitches.
The pattern is only a three row repeat, making it easy to remember.
Although it’s designed for a 6 month old, you could basically crochet this for any size by increasing the crown and doing more repeats of the rounds. Here is a Crochet Hat Size Chart by Age to help take the guesswork out if you can’t take measurements.
The Recommended Yarn
I used Vanna’s Choice, which is a medium worsted weight yarn. It is not a baby yarn, but it is soft enough for a baby’s skin. But, as with most of my patterns, the hat could be crocheted with just about any baby yarn. You’d just need to make necessary changes to the diameter to accommodate a thinner or thicker yarn.
Other Baby Hat Patterns to Try
- Crochet Pom Pom Beanie
- Striped Baby Hat
- Two Together – Two Color Beanie
- Cross-Over Long DC Free Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern
- Bulky Crochet Shell Stitch Baby Hat Pattern
Puff Stitch Crochet Baby Beanie
- Yarn: Vanna's Choice #4 Worsted weight yarn.
- Crochet Hook: I/9-5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 2" over first 2 Rounds.
- Finished Size: Laying flat it measures 7.5" across by 6" top to bottom. (Fits a 6 month old.)
Special Stitch Instructions
- Puff Stitch (puff st): [Yo, insert hk into st, yo and pull through] 3 times (7 lps on hk), yo and pull through all 7 lps, ch 1 to close. When working the next round, do not crochet into the closing ch-1's.
- This pattern flares out when you do the puff stitch round; however, it evens out nicely in the round thereafter.
- Rnd 1: Ch 2, work 10 hdc in 2nd ch from hk; join with sl st in first hdc. [10 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, work 2 hdc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first hdc. [20 sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, work 2 hdc in same st as join, hdc in next st, *2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first hdc. [30 sts]
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, work 2 hdc in same st as join, hdc in next 2 sts, *2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 2 sts; *rep from * around; join with sl st in first hdc. [40 sts]
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, work 2 hdc in same st as join, hdc in next 3 sts, *2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 sts; rep from * around; join with sl st in first hdc. [50 sts]
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, blsc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first blsc. [50 sts]
- Rnd 7: Ch 1, hdc in same st as join, puff st in next st, *hdc in next st, puff st in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first hdc. [25 hdc and 25 puff sts]
- Note: Do not crochet into the ch-1-s made to close the puff stitch.
- Rnd 8: Ch 1, working only into the hdc and puff st, sc in first st and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [50 sts]
- Rnd 9: Ch 1, blsc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first blsc. [50 sts]
- Rnds 10-18: Rep Rnds 7-9 3 times. Fasten Off at last rnd.
And if you enjoyed this pattern, you might also enjoy more baby hat crochet patterns on CPB.