This two color beanie is not only easy to crochet to any size you need, but it’s also perfect for both genders! Simply choose your colors to match the gender or outfit and you’re all set with this crochet beanie pattern. It’s perfect for gifting to everyone throughout the cold season.
This pattern is easy and mindless to work on. Plus, it’s a great stashbuster to clean up those oddballs that are too big to throw out, but not big enough for big projects.
The Stitch Pattern
This easy crochet beanie pattern is worked in two colors, which works well with the single crochet, single crochet decrease and chain one spaces. One round is worked with the single crochets, the next round is then worked in a different color using the single crochet decrease and chain one paces.
The beanie is started by working the brim in rows. Then join the rows and begin working in rounds until you have a desired size. The last two rounds are decreased so you can sew the top closed without it bulking too much.
Lastly, you have the option to make a pom pom or to leave it off. You can also purchase pom poms, but if you make them yourself, it’s super easy to match it to the hat.
For this hat, I tried to do a happy medium on the length for a 6-12 month old so that I could fold the brim up for extra warmth around the ears, or to leave the brim down for a slight slouch at the top. You decide how long you want to make it.
The only thing to keep in mind is that you need to have a multiple for your row count.
To adjust the size refer to this crochet hat size chart.
For this hat pattern, I chose Red Heart Super Saver. It’s a medium weight #4 worsted weight acrylic yarn. It’s one of the cheapest yarns available on the market and works okay for hats.
For something that results in even more stretch, you could try Vanna’s Choice.
Other Patterns to Try
- Single Crochet Beanie Pattern
- Crochet Pom Pom Beanie
- Striped Baby Hat
- Cross-Over Long DC Free Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern
- Extended Single Crochet Cap
Two Together – Two Color Beanie
- Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver (Worsted Weight (#4) 100% acrylic, 7 oz/198g – 364 yds/333m) – 2 Colors – CA = Soft Navy, CB = Light Blue.
- Crochet Hook: I 5.50mm and K 6.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge Across Ribbing Rows: 4 sts = 1" and 14 rows = 4". Gauge however is not important as the hat can be adjusted to any size as needed.
- Finished Size: Laying flat it measures 8" across and 8.5" long. However, it can be crocheted to any size as desired.
- CA = Color A
- CB = Color B
- Blsc = Back Loop Single Crochet
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sc2tog = Single Crochet 2 Stitches Together
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- To Change Color: Work the stitch as normal until the last step and you have two loops left on hook; drop the old color, pick up the new color and draw through both loops to complete the stitch.
- Carry unused yarn up at each Rnd.
- Here is a short tutorial on how to make a pom pom.
- Row 1: With CA and I crochet hook, Ch 10, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 8 chs. Turn. [9 sc]
- Rows 2-52: Ch 1, blsc in each sc across. Turn. (9 sts) Continue with this row until you have reached a desired circumference making sure to end in an even number of rows.
- Ch 1 and join the ribbing rows by slip stitching the last row to the free loops of starting chs.
Working in the Round (Body of Hat)
- Rnd 1: With CA, sc into the row ends, working 1 sc into each end; With CB, join with sl st in first sc. [52 sts]
- Rnd 2: With K hook, Ch 1, (sc2tog, ch 1) around working each sc2tog over 2 sts. With CA, join with sl st in first sc2tog. [26 sc2tog]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in same st as join and into each st and ch-1 around. With CB, join with sl st in first sc2tog. [52 sc]
- Rnds 4-21: Rep Rnds 2 and 3 consecutively for a total of 21 rounds, or until you have reached a desired height for hat.
- Rnd 22: Ch 1, sc2tog around; With CA, join with sl st in first st. Fasten Off CB. [26 sc2tog]
- Rnd 23: Rep Rnd 22, omitting the color change at end. [13 sc2tog]
- Fasten Off CA leaving a 10" tail. Weave tail end in through last Rnd and pull tight to close the hole.
- Optional: Make a pompom and attach it to the top of hat.
Leave a Reply