This fan stitch baby blanket has a gorgeous texture to it on both sides of the fabric. The fans curl a bit creating a small bump at the
The finished size measures about 31.5″ square. It’s the perfect blanket for a newborn boy or girl. Crochet it in a single color as shown, or go for some pretty stripes.
For some reason I had problems with the edging. The first time around I crocheted it using the same hook as I had used for the blanket, but it ruffled a bit. I figured a smaller hook might work, but it still didn’t lay flat. My next possible solution? I blocked it. Call me a cheater, but it worked. Hope you enjoy.
Other Patterns to Try
- Seed Stitch Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Broomstick Lace Crochet Baby Blanket with Ruffled Edge
- Blossom Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Easy Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Cross-Over Long DC Crochet Baby Blanket
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
- Yarn: Loops and Threads Snuggly Wuggly Big! (14oz), Or any sport (3) yarn.
- Crochet Hooks: G 4.00mm, E 3.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 18 sts = 4"
- Finished Size: Approximately 31.5" by 31.5"
Special Stitch Instructions
- V-St: (Dc, ch 3, dc) in the same st as indicated.
- Small V-St: (Dc, ch 1, dc) in the same st as indicated.
- Edc: Yo, insert around post indicated, yo and pull through (3 lps on hk), yo and pull through 1 lp, (yo, pull through 2 lps) twice.
- This blanket needs to be blocked for a nice edge. Dampen the blanket and lay it flat on a few towels. Pin it in place and allow to dry. Do not flatten the beautiful textures, the main focus of blocking is around the edge.
- Refer to this Blanket Sizes Chart if you'd like to make adjustments to the size.
- With G hook, Ch 134 or any multiple of 6 + 2.
- Row 1: Sc 2nd ch from hk, *sk next 2 chs, 5 dc in next ch, sk next 2 chs, sc in next ch, rep from * to end. (133 sts) Turn.
- Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch-1), dc in same first st (small V-st made), sk next 2 sts, sc in next dc (center dc), *sk next 2 sts, V-st in next sc, sk next 2 sts, sc in next dc; rep from * to last sc; small V-st in last sc. (21 V-Sts (ch-3 sps) and 2 small V-Sts.) Turn.
- Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc in same first st, sc in next sc, *5 dc in center ch of V-st, sc in next sc, rep from * to small V-st, sk next dc and ch-1, work 3 dc in last st (3rd ch). (133 sts) Turn.
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first st, work V-St in next sc, *sk next 2 dc, sc in next dc, sk next 2 dc, V-St in next sc, rep from * to last 3 sts, sk next 2 dc, sc in last st. (22 V-Sts) Turn.
- Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first st, *5 dc in center ch of V-St, sc in next sc, rep from * to end. (133 sts) Turn.
- Rows 6-75: Repeat rows 2-5. Do not fasten off or turn at last row, but continue with edging.
- Rnd 1: With E hook, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 2 (does not count as st), edc evenly around working 5 edc in each corner; join with sl st in first edc.
- Rnd 3: Same as round 1. Fasten Off.