This crochet square coaster pattern is perfect for your kitchen table or your work desk. It works up quick and you don’t need much yarn, which makes this a quick and easy project for making gifts throughout the year!
Not only is this the perfect crochet coaster pattern, but you might also be able to piece the squares together to make a hotpad or a placemat to match. Or, make an entire afghan if you have the patience!
Another use would be to crochet up a small treasure bag for your child by sewing two squares together along three edges and attaching a small handle.
There are literally so many uses for a small square like that this that you can use this to clean up your entire yarn stash!
How it’s Made
This square coaster crochet pattern is worked in rounds with increases made at the corners to make it square. It’s simple and quick to crochet, making it easy for a beginner as well.
The Finished Size
The finished size measures 4″ across, making it the perfect size for my favorite tea and coffee cups. It features a couple open stitches, but it’s still solid enough to protect your kitchen table and computer desk.
For a coaster I always recommend a cotton yarn. Simply because the yarn is more absorbent and also helps to protect against high temperatures. I used Bernat Handicrafter, which is a medium worsted weight yarn.
But, you’re looking to make blankets and other projects you can choose an acrylic or any other material that you like.
Other Crochet Coaster Patterns to Try
- Little Dots Coaster Crochet Pattern
- Seed Stitch Crochet Coaster Pattern
- Puff Stitch Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster Set
- A Bullion Stitch Coaster
- ESC Coaster
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Crochet Square Coaster Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) Small amount of scrap yarn.
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- 4" Square
- Rnd 1: Make a magic circle, ch 1, work 8 sc into magic circle; join with sl st in first sc. [8 sc]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 hdc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first hdc. [16 hdc]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, 2 hdc in same st as join, 2 hdc in each of next 2 sts, *ch 2, sk next st, 2 hdc in each of next 3 sts; rep from * around to last st; ch 2, sk last st; join with sl st in first hdc. [24 hdc and 4 ch-2 sps]
- Note for Beginners: In the next round, mark the middle hdc made in the ch-2 sp as your corner stitch.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, hdc in same st as join, hdc in next 5 sts, *5 hdc in ch-2 sp, hdc in next 6 sts; rep from * around to last ch-2 sp; 5 hdc in last ch-2 sp; join with sl st in first hdc. [44 hdc]
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, *sc in next st and into each st up to corner, 3 sc into corner; rep from * 3 times; sc in last 2 sts; join with sl st in first sc. [52 sc] Fasten off.
You might also be interested in the collection of free crochet pattern collection on CPB for Crochet Coasters.