Here is a quick and easy crochet coaster pattern that is worked up in the seed stitch. It is a round coaster, perfect for a teacup or a small mug.
For the edging, I did a round of reverse single crochet stitches to give you a nice raised edge to hug the mug.
You can never have to many crochet coasters! They are quick and easy to make and you can use them at the kitchen table, at your home work station and at the office. Plus, they make for awesome gifts for the tea and coffee lovers in your life!
I love the variegated colors, it kind of matches my mug. But you can just as well use a solid color. Or, work it up in stripes to use up the tiniest amounts of scrap yarns that you have lying around.
This makes for a great stashbuster and last-minute gift idea! So why not make a whole bunch of these simple crochet coasters to have them ready for your next housewarming party.
This crochet tea coaster pattern measures about 4 inches across the diameter. It is shown here is a medium-sized mug. It’s a bit roomy, but it’s perfect for what I was going for. And it’ll ensure my mug sits on the coaster and not halfway on the table.
Cotton yarn is always the best yarn when it comes to making crochet coasters. It is not only absorbent but heat resistant as well. Plus, it durable and economic.
My personal favorite is Bernat Handicrafter Cotton, a medium #4 worsted weight yarn. Tere are a few other brands very similar and can be substituted.
This crochet coaster pattern is worked in the round with the seed stitch. The seed stitch is the single crochet and double crochet worked into the same stitch.
Then to finish it off the last round is worked with reverse single crochets to give it a nice raised edge.
Seed Stitch Crochet Coaster Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: H 5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 2.25" over first 3 Rnds.
- Finished Size: 4" in Diameter.
- Rnd 1: Work 8 sc into a magic circle. Pull tight and join with sl st in first sc. [8 sts]
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, dc) into same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. [16 sts]
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in same st as join, (sc, dc) into each of next 2 sts, *sk next st, (sc, dc) into each of next 3 sts; rep from * around to last st; sk last st; join with sl st in first sc. [24 sts]
- Rnd 4: Rep Rnd 3. [36 sts]
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, (sc, dc) into same st as join, *sk next st, (sc, dc) in next st; rep from * around, to last st; sk last st; join with sl st in first sc. [36 sts]
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, rsc in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.