This crochet placemat pattern is worked up in the seed stitch. It gives you a nice texture on both sides of the fabric. Plus, it’s nice and solid, so you know it’ll do the job of protecting your table!
I did mine a solid color, but you can easily add a few stripes to make it match or compliment other colors in your dining room. With two or three stripes, it’s a great way to use up leftover yarns that otherwise might get tossed.
A stitch multiple is provided, making it easy to customize the size as needed for use around the home. Plus, with the mindless stitch pattern you’ll enjoy making this for friends and family as well.
I used Bernat Handicrafter cotton yarn, but any similar yarn will do.
Other Patterns to Try:
- Crochet Rectangle Placemat
- Puff Stitch Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster Set
- A Bullion Stitch Crochet Lace Placemat Pattern
- Round Clustered Hot Pad Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Round Hot Pad Pattern and Coaster
Seed Stitch Crochet Placemat Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 400g/14oz; 650 meters/710yds) Color: Off-white, 1 ball. Approximately 215m for one placemat.
- Crochet Hook: 5.5mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 12 sts = 4".
- Finished Size: 18" by 13".
- Ch 56, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, *dc in next ch, sc in next ch; rep from * across. Turn. [55 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in first sc, *sk dc, (sc, dc) in next sc; rep from * across to last 2 sts; sk dc, sc in last sc. Turn. [55 sts]
- Rows 4-37: Rep row 2.
- Ch 1, sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.