Decorate and protect your table with this hot pad crochet pattern. It is made with double crochet clusters to create extra cushioning and protection for the surface.
Make this hotpad crochet pattern in one or two colors to match your kitchen decor.. If using two colors, you can easily reverse the colors so that the first color in one hot pad becomes the second color in the next one.
You can also make a matching coaster simply by fastening off at round 4. The coaster tends to curl up around the edge, which naturally fits around a mug. The finished coaster measures approximately 4 inches in diameter.
With or without the coaster, these crochet hot pads make for great gifts at housewarming parties.
The finished size measures approximately 7.5″ in diameter.. It is not very big, but perfect for small pots and hot dishes.
If you need something bigger you could try working this with two strands of yarn, and then stopping when you get to the size that you need. I’ve not tried this, so if you do, I’d love to know your feedback.
For a hotpad you will need a cotton yarn, which is not only heat resistant but absorbent against spills as well. Another bonus of cotton is that it is durable and holds up in the wash.
My personal preference is Bernat Handicrafter cotton, but any similar medium worsted weight cotton yarn will work. Lily Sugar n Cream is an excellent alternative to Handicrafter.
Round Clustered Hot Pad Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight (#4) – 100% Cotton – 1.75 oz / 50g – 80yds / 73 m – 1 ball, or 2 colors.)
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Approximately 7.5" in diameter.
- Beg Cl = Beginning Cluster
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Cl = Cluster
- Lp/Lps = Loop/Loops
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd/Rnds = Round/Rounds
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- YO = Yarn Over
Special Stitch Instructions
- Beg Cl: Ch 2,*Yo, insert hook in st indicated, yo and pull through, yo and pull through 2 lps on hook; rep from * another 3 times. 5 lps on hook, yo and pull through all 5 lps on hook.
- Cl: *Yo, insert hook in st or sp indicated, yo and pull through, yo and pull through 2 lps on hook; rep from * another 4 times. 6 lps on hook, yo and pull through all 6 lps on hook.
- Choose one or two colors. I chose two and changed it up after each round.
- I joined my next color in the joining sl st of each round. For a cleaner look, you can fasten off each round, then join the new color with a standing crochet stitch. Refer to this tutorial.
- Rnd 1: Ch 2, work 6 sc into 2nd ch from hook; join with sl st in first sc. [6 sts]
- Rnd 2: Work beg cl in same st as join, ch 2, (cl, ch 2) into next st and into each st around; join with sl st in first cl. [6 cl and 6 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 3: Work beg cl on top of first cl, ch 2, *(cl, ch 2) in next ch-2 sp,** (cl, ch 2) in next cl; rep from * around ending last rep at **, join with sl st in first cl. [12 cl and 12 ch-2 sps.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in each st and ch around, join with sl st. [36 sts]
- Rnd 5: Work beg cl in same st as join, ch 2, *sk next st, (cl, ch 2) into next st; rep from * around to last st; sk last st, join with sl st in first cl. [18 cl and 18 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 6: Rep Rnd 4. [54 sts]
- Rnd 7: Rep Rnd 5. [27 cl and 27 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 8: Rep Rnd 4. [81 sts] Fasten Off.