Decorate and protect your table with this hot pad crochet pattern. It is made with double crochet clusters to create extra cushioning and protection for the surface.
Crochet this hot pad in a single or a two-tone color. If using two colors, you can easily reverse the colors if making more than one for a bit of matching variety.
You can also make a matching coaster simply by fastening off at round 4. The coaster tends to curl up around the edge, which naturally fits around a mug. The finished coaster measures approximately 4 inches in diameter.
Other Patterns to Try:
- Crochet Round Hot Pad Pattern and Coaster
- Popcorn Stitch Round Hot Pad
- Crochet Rectangle Placemat
- Puff Stitch Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster Set
- A Bullion Stitch Crochet Lace Placemat Pattern
Round Clustered Hot Pad Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight (#4) – 100% Cotton – 1.75 oz / 50g – 80yds / 73 m – 1 ball, or 2 colors.)
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Approximately 7.5" in diameter.
- Beg Cl = Beginning Cluster
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Cl = Cluster
- Lp/Lps = Loop/Loops
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd/Rnds = Round/Rounds
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- YO = Yarn Over
Special Stitch Instructions
- Beg Cl: Ch 2,*Yo, insert hook in st indicated, yo and pull through, yo and pull through 2 lps on hook; rep from * another 3 times. 5 lps on hook, yo and pull through all 5 lps on hook.
- Cl: *Yo, insert hook in st or sp indicated, yo and pull through, yo and pull through 2 lps on hook; rep from * another 4 times. 6 lps on hook, yo and pull through all 6 lps on hook.
- Choose one or two colors. I chose two and changed it up after each round.
- I joined my next color in the joining sl st of each round. For a cleaner look, you can fasten off each round, then join the new color with a standing crochet stitch. Refer to this tutorial.
- Rnd 1: Ch 2, work 6 sc into 2nd ch from hook; join with sl st in first sc. [6 sts]
- Rnd 2: Work beg cl in same st as join, ch 2, (cl, ch 2) into next st and into each st around; join with sl st in first cl. [6 cl and 6 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 3: Work beg cl on top of first cl, ch 2, *(cl, ch 2) in next ch-2 sp,** (cl, ch 2) in next cl; rep from * around ending last rep at **, join with sl st in first cl. [12 cl and 12 ch-2 sps.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in each st and ch around, join with sl st. [36 sts]
- Rnd 5: Work beg cl in same st as join, ch 2, *sk next st, (cl, ch 2) into next st; rep from * around to last st; sk last st, join with sl st in first cl. [18 cl and 18 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 6: Rep Rnd 4. [54 sts]
- Rnd 7: Rep Rnd 5. [27 cl and 27 ch-2 sps]
- Rnd 8: Rep Rnd 4. [81 sts] Fasten Off.