Here is a nice thick crochet hot pad pattern for your counters and other table tops. It is worked in a solid stitch that gives you extra thickness, making it more effective.
If you need something that offers even more protection, then you can easily crochet up two of these and join them together as one.
Another bonus of this hot pad crochet pattern is that you easily customize this to your kitchen and dining room decor by choosing one or more colors.
I added a few stripes towards to end because I was using up leftover yarns and was running out of the off-white. By adding a few stripes of another color I was able to use up two small balls of cotton yarn,
The stitch pattern makes it super easy to incorporate as many or as few stripes as you need to clean up your stash.
The finished size measures 12 by 12 inches square.
It is worked across the rows, which makes it super easy to customize as needed.
The multiple to adjust is a multiple of 2 plus 1 for the starting chains.
Bernat Handicrafter Cotton is both absorbent and heat resistant, which makes it an ideal yarn for making crochet hot pads.
The yarn is a medium #4 worsted-weight cotton. Any similar yarn, such as Lily Sugar n Cream, will work just as well.
The Stitch Pattern
If you can make the single crochet and are familiar with the cross stitch, then you can make this! Every row is worked with the single crochet cross stitch to give you a nice thick fabric.
I found the stitch pulled the fabric together so much that I had to switch to a smaller crochet hook for the starting chains and the edging. So perfect for a hot pad!
Single Crochet Hot Pad Crochet Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) 2 balls.
- Crochet Hooks: H – 5mm and J – 6mm.
- Tools: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 14 sts and 13 rows = 4". Gauge is not important.
- Finished Size: 12" by 12".
- With CA, and H crochet hook, ch 41, or any multiple of 2 + 1.
- Row 1: With J hook, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, *sk next ch, sc in next ch, backtrack and sc in skipped ch; rep from * across to the last 2 chs, sc in the last 2 chs. Turn. [40 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sts, *sk next st, sc in next st, backtrack and sc in skipped st; rep from * across to the last 2 sts, sc in the last 2 sts. Turn. [40 sts]
- Rows 3-24: Rep Row 2. [40 sts]
- Row 25: With CB, rep Row 2.
- Row 26: With CA, rep Row 2.
- Rows 27-29: With CB, rep Row 2.
- Row 30: With CA, rep Row 2.
- Row 31: With CB, rep Row 2.
- Rows 32-33: With CA, rep Row 2.
- Rnds 1-2: With Right Side facing and H crochet hook, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with slip stitch in first sc.