This striped crochet dishcloth pattern is worked up in a variation of the seed stitch. Instead of working the single crochet and double crochet together into one stitch, I’ve worked the single crochet on top of the double crochet and vice versa.
Also, I’m using three colors to make it super easy to change colors after each row without having to fasten off. You only need a small amount of yarn in each color.
The stitch pattern was designed to work with three colors, I swear by it! It creates a bit of a drop stitch without having to go down into the row below.
Another beauty of the stitch pattern is that it’s a simple multiple, making it super easy to adjust the size as needed. Make a hotpad, coaster and placemat to match simply by adjusting your starting chains.
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Stashbuster Striped Crochet Dishcloth
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) Colors: Blueberry, Robins Egg, Off White – one ball each.
- Crochet Hook: I 5.5mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 10 sts = 3.5".
- Finished Size: 8" by 8".
- Row 1: CA
- Row 2: CB
- Row 3: CC
- Row 4: Then start again with CA.
To Change Color
- Work the stitch as normal until the last step and you have two loops left on hook; drop the old color, pick up the new color and draw through both loops to complete the stitch.
- Carry unused yarn up along the side.
- With CA, Ch 21, or a multiple of 2 + 1.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next ch, *sc in next ch, dc in next ch; rep from * across. Change to next color as per color sequence at last step of last dc. Turn. [20 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first dc, dc in next sc, *sc in next dc, dc in next sc; rep from * across. Change to next color at last step of last dc. Turn. [20 sts]
- Rows 3-19: Rep row 2 changing your colors as per color sequence, ending with CA at last row.
- Rnd 1: With CB, ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner, and making sure to end with an even number of sts. Join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in same st as join, *sk next st, (sc, dc) in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.