The simple seeded lace crochet placemat pattern is worked up with an open stitch pattern. It’s great for use on tables that don’t need much protection, like picnic and other outdoor tables. Or for special occasions when you’d like to have something pretty at the table.
With that said, you can always line the back with just about any protective fabric to provide that extra layer of protection. Another thing that you could do is crochet up a solid mat to the same size as this and stitch them together.
The Stitch Pattern
The openness of the pattern is created with simple half double crochets and chain one spaces. The next row is then worked in the seed stitch, which consists of working a single and a double crochet into one stitch. The next stitch is then skipped to maintain stitch count.
The stitch is super easy and mindless to work on.
The size given here measures 18 by 13 inches, which is a fairly standard measurement for a placemat. To adjust the size, start your chains off with any multiple of two, then work the rows until you have reached the width that you want.
It’s easy to make a dishcloth, hotpad or a table runner to match this if you’d like.
Because it’s so easy to adjust the stitch count you can basically substitute any of your favorite cotton yarns that you’d like to use. Just make sure to do a gauge swatch prior to ensure it comes out the size you need it.
Bernat Handicrafter is my go-to cotton for these types of projects. I’m not saying it’s the best, it’s just what’s always been available at my local stores. Sugar ‘n Cream and Lion Brand also carry excellent cottons that you can use for this.
You will need about 170 yards to make one placemat. If you are using the small cotton balls you will need about 3 of them. And if you go with a big ball of the Handicrafter, you’ll be able to make about 4 placemats with one big ball.
You’ll want to block this lightly so that it maintains its shape. To do that, simply wet it down and squeeze out excess liquid. Lay it flat and allow to dry.
Other Patterns to Try
- Crochet Rectangle Placemat
- Seed Stitch Crochet Placemat Pattern
- Puff Stitch Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster Set
- A Bullion Stitch Crochet Lace Placemat Pattern
- Football Placemat
Simple Seeded Lace Crochet Placemat
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 400g/14oz; 650 meters/710yds), 1 ball (about 170yds for one placemat)
- Crochet Hook: 5.50mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 13 sts/chs = 4"
- Finished Size: 18" by 13".
- Ch 56, or any multiple of 2.
- Row 1: (Hdc, ch 1) in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, (hdc, ch 1) in next ch; rep from * across. Note: Last ch-1 made counts as turning ch, now and throughout. Turn. [28 sts and 27 ch-1 sps]
- Row 2: (Sc, dc) in first hdc, *sk ch-1, (sc, dc) in next hdc; rep from * across to last hdc; (sc, ch 1) in last hdc. Turn. [55 sts]
- Row 3: (Hdc, ch 1) in first sc, *sk dc, (hdc, ch 1) in next sc; rep from * across. Turn. [28 sts and 27 ch-1 sps]
- Rows 4-31: Rep rows 2 and 3.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in each st around, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.