This dishcloth, placemat and coaster set is the perfect addition to your table at your next dinner party. The set features a beautiful texture that you’ll be proud to display in front of your favorite dinner guests.
Better yet, the set is very versatile, and can be used not only on the dining table, but throughout the home as well.
- The table mat is the perfect size for a coffee table or a bedroom dresser.
- The dishcloth also makes for a nice washcloth. And if you like, you can also add a backing to it and use it as a hotpad or potholder.
- The coaster also makes for a lovely scrubby that you can use in the kitchen or bathroom.
The pattern actually has the same stitch pattern as I used for this soap saver, a hand soap cozy for the bathroom and a mug cozy for the kitchen. So if you like the stitch, feel free to make a set for the kitchen and one for the bathroom.
I used a cotton yarn, which is not only heat resistant, but absorbent as well. Bernat Handicrafter Cotton has been my go-to yarn, but any similar worsted weight yarn will work,
Other Patterns to Check Out:
- Crochet Rectangle Placemat
- Beginner Crochet Dishcloth Pattern with Striped Option
- Crochet Seed Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Slanted Cluster Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Stashbuster Striped Crochet Dishcloth
Purchase Your Ad-Free PDF
Slanted Puff Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 400g/14oz; 650 meters/710yds) 1 ball (one ball is enough for at least two of each – placemat, dishcloth and coaster)
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Stitch Markers, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 2" over 2 puff sts in pattern.
- Coaster/Scrubbie: 4"×5"
- Dish/Washcloth: 8"×9"
- Placemat: 12"x18"
Special Stitch Instructions
- Puff St: (Yo, insert hk in sp indicated, yo and pull through) 2 times, 5 lps on hk, yo and pull through all 5 lps.
- Instructions are given for the coaster with special instructions for the dishcloth and placemat given in parenthesis.
- If you are new to crochet you may want to use stitch markers to mark the chain two made in the same space as the puff stitch.
- Loosely ch 14, (26, 56), or any multiple of 3 plus 2.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hk and into each ch across. Turn. [13, (25, 55) sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sts, ch 1, sk next st, sc in next st, *ch 2, sk next 2 sts, sc in next st; rep from * across to last 3 sts, ch 1, sk next st, sc in last 2 sts. Turn. [2, (6, 16) ch-2 sps and 2 ch-1 sps]
- Row 3: Ch 1, hdc in first 2 sts, ch 1, sk first ch-1 sp, *(sl st, ch 2, puff st, ch 1) into next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp across to last ch-1 sp, sk ch-1 sp, hdc in last 2 sts. Turn. [2, (6, 16) puff sts and 4 hdc]
- Rows 4-10, (22, 28): Rep row 3.
- Last Row: Ch 1, sc in first 2 sts, sc in ch-1, sc in top of next puff st, 3 sc in next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp across to lasts ch-1 sp; sc into ch-1, sc into last 2 sts; [13, (25, 55) sts]
- Edging: Ch 1, sc evenly around working 3 sc into each corner; join with sl st in first sc. Fasten Off.
Stitch Pattern Photo Tutorial
- The first image below shows the first two rows done as per pattern above. You can see the chain one spaces at the beginning and end of rows. These are marked off in the yellow stitch markers, and are skipped throughout the pattern.
- The chain two spaces in the middle are marked off with the blue stitch markers.
- To begin the row: Ch 1, 2 hdc in first 2 sts, ch 1.
- Skip the ch-1 sp and sl st in first ch-2 sp.
- Ch 2.
- Then work the puff stitch into same chain.
- Ch 1. And if you are new to crochet, mark the ch-2 made just before the puff stitch to make it easier for the next row.
- Then repeat the steps above: (sl st, ch 2, puff st, ch 1) into next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp across to ch-1 sp; sk ch-1 sp, hdc in last 2 sts.
- The next row is the same, except now you are working into the ch-2 sps made just before the puff stitches. Ch 1, hdc in first 2 sts, ch 1.
- Skip the first ch-1, sl st into next ch-2 sp.
- Ch 2.
- Work puff st into same ch-2 sp, ch 1.
- And again, repeat that across: (sl st, ch 2, puff st, ch 1) into next ch-2 sp and into each ch-2 sp across to ch-1 sp; sk ch-1 sp, hdc in last 2 sts.