This crochet cross stitch dishcloth pattern features the half double crochet cross stitch. The cross stitch is worked in between rows of single crochets to give you a nice texture on both sides.
Most of the time when you crochet, you have a right and wrong side; but for this textured crochet dishcloth pattern, I happen to love both sides. On one side you have the crossed stitches and then on the other side you have a different kind of texture. You decide which side you like best, and then work your edging from your favorite side. The best part is that both textures are great for scrubbing!
The finished size measures 7.5 inches square. I like my dishcloths on the small side, but you could make it any size that you want to by starting off with any multiple of 2 plus 1. Thus you could just as
Bernat Handicrafter is my go-to yarn for dishcloths. It’s soft and durable, and perfect for all your scrubbing needs from the kitchen to the bathroom and around the entire home.
The yarn is a number 4 worsted weight, 100% cotton yarn. It comes in a number of solid and variegated colors. You can purchase this in big balls or in small balls. The small balls are just big enough to make a dishcloth from one ball. But the bigger balls are economic as you can make a ton of dishcloths from one ball.
With that said, any worsted weight dishcloth cotton will work just as well.
Other Patterns to Try
- Beginner Crochet Dishcloth Pattern with Striped Option
- Peachy Round Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Scrubby Yarn Crochet Pattern – Easy V-Stitch Scrubby Dishcloth
- Moss Stitch Crochet Dishcloth
- Dandy – Easy Crochet Dishcloth
Purchase Your Printable PDF
Half Double Crochet Cross Stitch Dishcloth
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight, #4; 100% Cotton; 1.75 oz/50g; 80yds/73m) 1 ball
- Crochet Hook: H/8-5.00mm
- Other: Measuring Tape, Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Gauge: 7 sc sts = 2".
- Finished Size: 7.5" x 7.5"
- Ch 21, or any multiple of 2 + 1.
- Row 1: Hdc in 2nd ch from hook, *sk next ch, hdc in next ch, hdc in skipped ch; rep from * across to last ch, hdc in last ch. Turn. [20 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first st and in each st across. Turn. [20 sts]
- Row 3: Ch 1, hdc in first st, *sk next st, hdc in next st, hdc in skipped st; rep from * across to last st, hdc in last st. Turn. [20 sts]
- Rows 4-17: Rep rows 2 & 3.
- Rnd 1: Work 18 sc evenly across each side with 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc. [84 sts]
- Note: You can work the next two rounds into the back loops only if you prefer a little more texture.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc around with 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc. [92 sts]
- Rnd 3: Rep rnd 2. Fasten Off. [100 sts]