Here is a quick and easy crochet round coaster pattern. It is perfect for protecting your table from all your hot and cold drinks. It s not only able to protect against drips, but it is also heat resistant, which is super awesome!
If you enjoy making gifts for others, this is an excellent pattern to use. Because not only does it work up quick, but it’s great for using up left-over yarns.
How It’s Made
This diy coaster pattern can be started off with a magic ring or two chains. I did two chains and then began working into the second chain from the hook. Either way works and should give you similar results.
The stitch pattern is worked with the extended single crochet and chain one space. Each round is increased by six stitches until you get to the size that you want.
Then for the edge, to give it a nice ribbed edge, I used the reverse single crochet. The stitch is made the exact same way as a regular single crochet, except that you work it in the reverse direction! So if you normally crochet from right to left, the reverse single is worked from left to right.
The finished size is 4″ in diameter, which for me is the perfect size for a small coaster. But, it is super, super easy to customize the size to any size you like. Make a dishcloth and even a baby blanket by following this simple and free crochet pattern.
I used a cotton yarn because that is not only absorbent, but it is also heat resistant. Bernat Handicrafter and Lily Sugar ‘N’ Cream are two good choices.
Other Free Coaster Patterns
- Seed Stitch Crochet Coaster Pattern
- Crochet Square Coaster Pattern
- Puff Stitch Dishcloth, Placemat and Coaster Set
- Little Dots Coaster Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- A Bullion Stitch Coaster
- CPB also has a lot of free patterns for crochet coasters.
Extended Single Crochet Round Coaster Pattern
- Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter Cotton (Worsted Weight (#4) – 100% Cotton – 1.75 oz / 50g – 80yds / 73 m – 2 Colors)
- Crochet Hook: G 4.00mm
- Other: Scissors, Yarn Needle.
- Approximately 4" across the diameter.
- CA = Color A
- CB = Color B
- Ch/Chs = Chain/Chains
- Esc = Extended Single Crochet
- Rep = Repeat
- Sc = Single Crochet
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- Sp/Sps = Space/Spaces
- St/Sts = Stitch/Stitches
- Crochet Abbreviations explained in more details.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Extended Single Crochet (ESC): Insert hook in stitch indicated, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through one loop, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook.
- In Rnds 2-5 you will only work into the esc. All chs are skipped in these rounds.
- Mark first esc to help you see better in regard to joining and working your next row of stitches.
- Change to new color in joining slip stitch of the round.
- Carry yarn up at each round.
- Rnd 1: With CA, Ch 2, (esc, ch 1) 6 times into 2nd ch from hook; join with sl st in first esc. [6 esc and 6 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 2: With CB, Ch 1, (esc, ch 1) twice in same st as join and into each st around; join with sl st in first esc. [12 esc and 12 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 3: With CA, Ch 1, (esc, ch 1) twice in same st as join, (esc, ch 1) in next st, *(esc, ch 1) twice in next st, (esc, ch 1) in next st; rep from * around; join with sl st in first esc. [18 esc and 18 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 4: With CB, Ch 1, (esc, ch 1) twice in same st as join, (esc, ch 1) in next 2 sts, *(esc, ch 1) twice in next st, (esc, ch 1) in next 2 sts; rep from * around; join with sl st in first esc. [24 esc and 24 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 5: With CA, Ch 1, (esc, ch 1) twice in same st as join, (esc, ch 1) in next 3 sts, *(esc, ch 1) twice in next st, (esc, ch 1) in next 3 sts; rep from * around; join with sl st in first esc. [30 esc and 30 ch-1 sps]
- Rnd 6: Continue with CA and Reverse Single Crochet into each st and ch around; join with sl st in first st. Fasten Off.
Leave a Reply